It’s February and the most romantic day of the year is fast approaching. Looking for a way to cast a love spell over the one your heart desires? This Valentine’s Day, instead of breaking out the boring old bottle of wine, consider serving these concoctions that are guaranteed to knock your sweetie’s socks off (and maybe more). A few sips of these lovingly prepared aphrodisiacs will have you locking lips in no time.
Adapted from Sunset magazine
Makes 8 servings
Hint: It takes about 1 1/4 hours to prepare this concoction and 2 hours for it to cool. Do the dirty work before you get in the shower and let it cool down while you’re getting ready for your date.
1 quart cranberry juice cocktail
4 slices peeled fresh ginger (about 1/8 inch thick)
1 cinnamon sticks
1 whole star anise
4 tsp. cognac or brandy
4 cups champagne, chilled
20 fresh cranberries
- Combine cranberry juice, ginger, cinnamon sticks and star anise in a 3-quart pan. Boil over high heat until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat and allow to cool about 30 minutes, then pour through a fine strainer into a small pitcher. Chill until cold (around 1 1/2 hours).
- In each champagne glass, add 1 tablespoon of the cranberry syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cognac. Fill the remainder of the glass with champagne and two or three cranberries.
Voila, and ooh la la!
Makes 1 serving
1 part St. Germain elderflowers liqueur
2 parts regular or citrus vodka, or Hendrick’s Gin
3/4 part fresh lemon juice
1/4 shot simple syrup
1 part muddled strawberry
Top with brut champagne
Strawberry for garnish
- Muddle the strawberry in a shaker, add the rest of the ingredients and shake it.
- Strain and pour it over ice in a Collins glass.
- Fill the remainder of the glass with brut champagne.
- Slit a strawberry up the middle and slide it onto the rim of the glass.