Quantcast
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you volunteer?

I'm thinking of doing some volunteer work in my new town so I can meet new people, and because I enjoy doing community service. Here are some of the places/organizations I'm thinking about:

Habitat for Humanity
    CASA
    my local center for the arts
    Humane Society

So if you volunteer, what exactly do you do? Do you enjoy it?

Yes, I've been a spokesperson for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (fka as Leukemia Society of America) for 10 years. I speak for their various programs including Team in Training and Light the Night. I also do other things like help at Pot Lucks and actually participate in the programs. I enjoy it very much.

I also help other organizations such as the local Children's Hospital and Colombian Lady Volunteers of Tampa Bay. This puts me in touch with my mother's culture and is also very fulfilling work.

I really hope you get a lot of out it. I think you'll find it quite rewarding.

~H.

Some of my current and previous volunteer positions:

Local children's hosptial. Buddy and cuddler. As a buddy, I went from room to room and hung out with the kids. We'd play games or read or I'd help with the PT. Sometimes I would just relieve the parents; spend some time with their child so they could get some fresh air, grab a meal, go for a walk, talk with doctors. As a cuddler, I would go to NICU and sit in a rocking chair, hold a baby, and rock. It was the most amazing thing. I also administered hearing tests to newborns.

Literacy volunteer. I am helping to continue on the literacy fair that my mom started. It's an annual event in my hometown that is open to all families. Basically, kids have to participate in fun activities to earn free books and a meal. We also supply free books for parents. My duties include fundraising, reading to kids, setting up booths. This was my mom's pet prject and it's so important that we continue it now that she has passed away.

Rebuilding Together (formerly Christmas in April). This is very similar to Habitat for Humanity.

American Liver Foundation/PBC Fund for the Cure: This is the illness my mom had, so I do various things for them.

I also help out with one-off things: pet adoptions, various walks, my neighbor's kid's elementary school.

Next on my list is to volunteer at the local library.

I work as a hotline counselor for a local rape crisis center. I've been doing this 4+ years and it's tough work, but it's very rewarding. I've learned *so* much from each and every caller I"ve talked to. I feel very connected to my community and it's given me "a cause" to fight for, plus the other women who work on the hotline are incredible and I feel I've made great friends by virtue of being part of the organization.

I'd be happy to tell you more about the work I do and, if you're interested in doing this kind of work, I can refer you to a place where you can volunteer. Just PM me.

lauren, I don't think I could handle that work, even though it is much needed!

I used to volunteer quite a bit but stopped doing so when, truthfully, it just became inconvinient (horrible I know). I have since started back into it by joining the Jaycess. After hurricane Katrina, I also signed up with the ARC to be a local volunteer but the training isn't until January.

I hope someday to be able to live off my DH's paycheck and volunteer for a "career"

I've volunteered for Habitat for Humanity in the past and it was an amazing experience. I highly recommend it! (I feel like I learned quite a bit too) Currently I'm volunteering for a no-kill animal shelter. I go and play with the kitties who don't have foster homes and clean thier cages. I also try to help with fund raising efforts when I can.

Yes, I'm on the Board of Directors for a local food bank. And, I am a volunteer AYSO coach (I don't have children).

I have also volunteered for Habitat for Humanity (as a newsletter editor) in the past, and also Make-A-Wish Foundation. I have also volunteered as a newsletter editor in the past for a professional association and currently (this is my third year) I have been the program chair for an annual conference for another professional assocation. I am going to give that up after our conference this year (which is tomorrow).

After that, I need to reconsider my volunteer commitments. I would also like to volunteer at the library but don't know if I can find the time that works with DH's and DD's schedule and my work schedule. I may try to find something I can do WITH my daughter, like bringing her (she's an infant) to a nursing home once a month to visit with the residents, or something like that.
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

I'm not as heavily involved as I'd like to be, but I work with Drive for Life and other similar groups. It's a network of people who form driving chains to move animals in shelters either to their forever homes or to a new foster or rescue. A lot of their work involves getting animals out of high-kill shelters into no-kill rescues.

I very much wanted to devote my volunteering time to animals, but I found myself unable to deal with the emotional drain of working with only a local animal society. I know euthanasia is a part of it, but it's just too much for me. Doing this helps me to save lives while still shielding me from the horrible parts. It's weak of me, but it's all I can manage at this point.
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

I volunteer at the public library as a docent (trained volunteer). I staff the Information Desk once a week, which mostly involves directing patrons to the bathrooms and various meetings/events, but sometimes I get to help them find a book!

I want to be a librarian, so I'm doing it both for the experience, and because our public library is horribly under-funded and they really need volunteers.