Quantcast
Page 1 of 102 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default Jewish people: come on in!

All this talk about Christianity around here lately has made me feel like a "minority" yet again. I thought I'd start a thread for all of us.

I grew up in a conservative family and attended Hebrew school three times a week, was Bat Mitzvahed, confirmed, etc. My family has many positions and is well known in the Jewish community where I grew up. I actually think that has a lot to do with why I don't live there, but that's for another post

My DH is Jewish, but that just happened. Granted, my mother likes to think I would only marry a member of the tribe, but that also is another post. Sensing the resentment yet or what?

DH and I have recently relocated and have yet to join the synagogue here. The dues are kind of expensive and we have to save all the money we can for our home remodeling projects. Once we start a family, I think we will join. I've heard religion takes on a new meaning when you have children. Me, I'm still a little bitter (could you tell?) by it being crammed down my throat when I was growing up. Unfortunately, my parents (mostly my mother) aren't very open-minded about "diveristy." DH has recently begun to express an interest in becoming active in the Jewish community here. Sometimes, I find it difficult to be unbiased when he says these things. I keep reminding myself that we had entirely different experience with religion in life. It's going to be a hard balance to find, but I owe him the respect to let him define it on his own w/o my two cents.

What's your story??

Subscribing. Thanks for starting this thread. DD just woke up from her nap. I'll try to come back later to give my story.
    Cori and Hal
    DD #1 December 2003
    DD #2 December 2005 December must be our month!

My story is kind fo the opposite of yours. I grew up in a hom ewith no religion at all. My father was at one point Catholic but had abandoned that by the time i came aroudn. My mother also grew up in a completely secular home. Fo rmany years, I didn't even know about my Jewish heritage. I evnetually learned that my maternal grandmother was Jewish. originally from Poland. She and one of her sisters were smuggled out during the holocaust; the rest of her family died in the camps.

I've only recently began really identifing myself out load as Jewish and when I do, I'm always worried that "real Jews: will be offended or something since I'm a totally "non-Jewish Jew". I know so little about the religion and am struggling to learn about it as I try to embrace this part of my history.
    'Thou shalt not' might reach the head, but it takes 'Once upon a time' to reach the heart.-Philip Pullman

my maternal grandmother was Jewish. originally from Poland. She and one of her sisters were smuggled out during the holocaust; the rest of her family died in the camps.
    is she still with us? I bet you can learn a lot from her experiences (Holocaust and what it's like to be a survivor).

I'm always worried that "real Jews" will be offended or something since I'm a totally "non-Jewish Jew"
    I guess the definition of a "real Jew" is debateable. I feel like a "real Jew" or a "good Jew", but I'm sure many other Jews would disagree. Yes, an orthodox Jew might be offended, but there are plenty of orthodox Jews who wouldn't be, so I think it's more of an individual thing as far as who would be offended. I'm sure it can be confusing at times and you might struggle to decide what, who, etc. you believe in, but at least you have the opportunity to figure that out on your own (unlike me growing up). You'll develop a sense of who you are and where you fit in eventually. Enjoy the process.....

there's the Bat Mitzvah caricature ad

only took a few minutes to pop up....annoying!!!

OK, now thats funny..Didn't every Jewish kid that was Bar/Bat Mitzvah'd have a guy who did characatures (sp?) there for the kids? I'm pretty sure I had one. I'm too tired and pregnant at the moment to type much, but I'm subscribing and will definitly contribute more later when I have some energy
    Liliana Chloe ~ 11/13/05
    Levi Marcus ~ 05/21/09

I noticed the add to.

Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away when I was about seven, long before I had peiced together any of this so I was never abel to talk to her about it. The impression I get is that she probably wouldn't have talked much anyway. I;m guessing on this but I think after her experiences she turned completley away from Judaism and just tried to be a "normal American", possibly out of fear of being persecuted again.
    'Thou shalt not' might reach the head, but it takes 'Once upon a time' to reach the heart.-Philip Pullman

villanelle75 Unfortunately, I think that's the case for a lot of Holocaust survivors. Although, there are many who felt more comfortable speaking up/telling their story as time went on. I got to hear Elie Wiesel speak once. He was one of the most powerful speakers I've ever heard!

jaycee guilty of having the caricature dude. What's even worse is that I know exactly where mine is at my parents house

110 views and only 4 joined????

are there just no Jews here? or you're lurking to decide if you want to come out?????

<waving> Hi!

My story:

Born to Jewish parents. Granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor and a survivor of the Russian Gulags on one side. My mother and her mother were stateless refugees for many, many years. It's an interesting story. Granddaughter of German Jews on the other side who were on a boat that was turned away from the US, and who went to Brazil instead. I should say, it was my paternal grandmother and my aunt (who was a baby) who were turned away. My grandfather is another story, and he wasn't around at that point in time. Anyway, my dad's mom and my aunt made it into the US from Brazil, and they settled in the Lower East Side, NYC. Broome St, Canal St, every Jacob Riis image you can think of...

I'm not a religious Jew. I hated religion for a very long time because I couldn't comprehend the absolute terror that was caused to my family because of it. Growing up in a household with a Holocaust survivor was very interesting and not easy. In college, I began to seriously study German history -- I've always been a German-o-phile (speak German, we lived in Austria for 8 years) -- and Austrian history, and academia became my religion. So I am now a fully practicing cultural Jew, and I choose when and how I want to believe. I married a non-Jew -- actually, I married an atheist, and picked him (if you "pick" someone) partially because that was very attractive to me (along with all the other attractive things about him ). I am very proud of my heritage and very proud of how my family turned out. Education is one of the most important things to *me*, simply because I've always been taught it's one thing people can't take away from you.

So, that's me in 2 paragraphs. Well, my Judaism, anyway.

Villa -- Hello You are a "real Jew". ITA with what Southerner said.

Can't wait to "meet" all you guys.