Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you getting your parents/IL's?

Default What are you getting your parents/IL's?

We want to spend about $100-150 on dh's parents this Christmas but can't come up with any good ideas. We have asked them 3 times what they would like and somehow the subject gets changed each time without getting an answer.

We wanted to get them a DVR but mil said that fil will be pissy about having to rewire things and pay the monthly fee. Well, okay then. I am thinking about getting it and giving them the receipt at the same time (ironically, last night dh called his parents and his dad answered and said "hi. do you have anything you want to talk to me about? no. good. See you tomorrow, here's your mother". Dh asked him mom about it and she he was watching ncis and didn't want to be interrupted. When dh told me the story i said "they need a pause button!")

What are some other ideas in this price range? What are you getting your parents or il's?

My sisters and i are buying my mother a jewelry armoire... It costs $289.00 and we are each throwing in $100...

Miles : 11.03.06 Agnes : 03.25.11

I have no clue what we are buying either set of parents yet, but here are some ideas of things we've purchased for them as gifts in the past:

* Tivo
    * Netflix gift subscription
    * Wine of the month club
    * Restaurant GC (either 1 to a fancy place or multiple to lower end places)
    * Monthly house cleaner for set amt of months
    * DVD player
    * Computer monitor
    * Clothes (usually for the dads, but we got my MIL a cashmere sweater one yr)
    * Jewelry (usually for the moms)
    * Spa GC (moms)
    * DVDs, CDs (in combination w/ larger gift)
    * GCs: Amazon, Pottery Barn, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.

My parents are divorced, so we buy separately for them, but we usually try to get my ILs a combined gift b/c they are nearly impossible to shop for.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

My inlaws will not accept gifts from us, they feel it is a waste of our money.

FOr my parents we usually get them a nice set of pajamas, a GC for dinner, and then something "fun"...

DH and his sisters are chipping in to buy his mom a new stove. Theirs only has one good burner. FIL, I have no clue. I'm not helping buy presents for my ILs anymore (long story).

We're making a calendar for my mom. She loves her grandpuppies, so my sister and I got together, took some pro shots and I'll be making the calendar. i'll also probably get her a spa GC too.

We're getting my dad a universal remote for all his gadgets. We're also having a tech come and show him how to use it (since he won't read the instructions). I'll also probably get him some work clothes since he wears through them quickly.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

I posted in the other thread too, but we're getting my parents TIVO (box & subscription). While I would prefer DVR through the cable company,there is no way to gift it.

For his mom, I have my portion of the gift done. Longaberger pottery that she collects (I got her 3 peices at a great deal) and a large candle from Circle E.

For his dad, I let DH handle that. He'll prob get him something at the last minute from Sears because his dad is beyond awful to shop for. Then he usually gets his parents something together. Last year it was a garbage disposal. Fun huh?

ETA: Jen, if I were your DH, I'd make the stove be to both of them After all he eats what she cooks right?

Default Hey Ellidew

Where did you find that jewlery armoire? It looks like it would match my bedroom set perfectly!

looch- I found that one at Everything Furniture

This particular one is on backorder until mid-December. They have a ton of jewelry armoires on their site! I want to get one for myself too!

Miles : 11.03.06 Agnes : 03.25.11

For DH's parents, I have no idea. In the past we've gotten them new shower heads for both showers (theirs SUCK), and a new toaster oven. All presents are still in their basement.

We are getting my dad a Jimmy Buffett box CD set since he just started listening to his music. My mom wants a GC to Walmart, so that's probably what we'll get her. Along with some dark chocolate truffles that we can wrap.
    ~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???

great thanks! Please let me know how it is, it's a dead ringer for my thomasville dresser!

bump - because buying for my and his parents are so hard and I need ideas!!!