Quantcast
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas

Default Las Vegas

I'm guessing Vegas doesn't really have an "off-season", but If DH and I want to take a budget vacation, is there a best time to go? I know during the week is generally cheaper than weekends, but are their any months that are less expensive than others?

We went in April--on the 20th. It was warm there--but not hot. It was a dry 80 degrees. I'd hate to go in the summer when it's so hot.

Definitely go during the week! I meandered the strip while DH was in conferences and the only day we had together was Saturday and it was SO PACKED!! The sidewalks were crowded! The M&M World and Everything Coke had people packed in like sardines! I liked Wednesday, Thursday and Friday better.

Have fun!
    The Grand & Illustrious Brandles!

"Some of the coolest things are found behind signs that say 'No Trespassing'."

Not really. It seems to have a lot more to do with specific events that are going on in Vegas. There are soooo many HUGE conferences that take place in Vegas, that you need to plan your trip around those (and I'm not particularly informed about when they all are, except that I know there's huge one the 3rd week of November which always prevents me from celebrating my b-day in Vegas...) Hubby went during March Madness for a bachelor party and said it was a zoo (he also had to pay through the roof for a standard room at Paris, even though he booked months in advance).

We're actually going to Vegas next weekend, so we'll see how it is. We got a decent rate at the Venetian and only booked a week and a half in advance. I think there are quite a few weeks in the summer when you can find reasonable hotel rates, because I think the heat turns off a lot of people. My coworker has gone 3 times for Christmas (arriving the 25th, leaving the 28th before the new year's crowd) and got exceptional hotel rates. Prices also vary WIDELY depending on where you stay. (One of the cheapest big hotels on the strip is Excalibur which can be 1/2 the price of the next cheapest hotel, but I've heard it's getting pretty old and run-down.)

A lot of hotels have online calendars where you can see the various nightly prices. You can scroll through the months until you find a "cheap" week, then check out other hotels for the same dates to compare. (Try www.mandalaybay.com and pick an arbitrary date for reservations, and their price calendar pops up.)

Hope that helps!

You can find all kinds of great Vegas deals on
    www.cheapovegas.com

another great resource is
    www.travel2vegas.com

I am Vegas crazy!

I live in Vegas....we really do not have an off season when things are cheaper...but what everyone else says is correct....go during the week. Fri&Sat night hotel rates are usually almost double the weekday rate.

Also...consider staying at a hotel that is not ON the strip. I'd recommend the Orleans. It's close to the strip and has shuttles that'll take you to the Barbary Coast (which is on the strip) and you can walk from there.

We stayed at the Hilton (got a good deal with DH's conference) and we used the monorail A LOT! We each bought 3 day passes and got good use out of both of them.
    The Grand & Illustrious Brandles!

"Some of the coolest things are found behind signs that say 'No Trespassing'."

The year before I was married - so 2002 - my parents and I did a two week tour of the West, which included a three day stop in LV. It was June, probably during the week, and we paid $34 a night at the Luxor, staying in the pyramid itself. LV might not have an off season, but I don't think many people want to visit in the summer, and therefore it might be slightly cheaper than in the cooler months.

We also didn't have any problems getting into the shows, or the restaurants.

HTH!

My friend and I just went to Vegas in April. We booked a package through Orbitz for our plane tickets and hotel. We flew Continental and stayed at Caesars Palace for $671/person. I think we got an excellent deal. I'd check out Orbitz and see what kind of deals you can find!

Default Need Vegas Restaurant Rec

I am in charge of making a restaurant reservation in Vegas for a group of 11. I need some place that would be fun for a group, somewhat hip and trendy, and not too ridiculously expensive. Everyone going is in their late 20s/early 30s -- there will be three women and eight men. We will be staying on the strip, so I assume it would be best to stick around there for dinner.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Samba Brazilian Steakhouse at Mirage is a fun place, and quite unique.
    http://www.mirage.com/pages/frameset_noflash.asp

A similar place would be Rumjungle at Mandalay bay.

Mon Ami Gabi at Paris is really neat, and if you sit outside you have the best view of Bellagio Fountains.

9 fine Irismen at New York New York is neat, as is Rainforest Cafe at MGM.

Cheeseburger at the Oasis in Desert Passage is a fun place, and not too pricey.

Cheesecake Factory in the Forum Shops at Caesras is dependably good, and reasonable.

Can you tell I REALLY like Vegas?
    Last edited by gayle; 07-13-2005 at 04:07 PM.