Quantcast
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: allowances

We're probably going to start allowance when our DD is about 3 or 4 and can start doing "chores" (with our help of course) - picking up toys, help feeding the dog, etc (obviously nothing crazy like washing dishes or washing the car LOL)....basically a way of showing some responsibility and a way to teach her to "work" to earn things. My niece and nephew (6 and 8) have chores like feeding the turtle, feeding the dogs, cleaning their rooms and playroom, reading books to each other, etc and I think it's awesome that when we take them to Target or whereever, they are so proud to use their own money that they have in their wallets It's a good way of showing responsibility and the value of $$ They understand that money doesn't grow on trees and they don't ask for everything in the store anymore (of course every once in a while they will LOL....but for the most part they know that things can be expensive and that mom and dad work hard to pay for things).
    ~*Julie & Mark*~
    Married - September 21, 2002
    Our daughter *Paige* (PJ) - born March 16th, 2005

My brother and I received allowance when we were old enough to spend our own money. We had chores and we earned our money that way.

My brother and I got an allowance starting somewhere around age 6 or 7 of $1/week. it went up $1 every year. then in high school it was $20 for the week.
    we weren't allowed to work during the school year because school was our job because we barely had time to sleep. I did volunteer work in the summers, so no job then either.
    pre-high school we could do chores in addition to our individual responsibilities to earn extra $ but it was like $.10 or $.25 per chore.
    upon graduating high school the allowance vanished
    In the Mommy hood
    Evan James - 10/6/07

I think we'll start an allowance next year, when she's four and can count reliably and has better number sense. It will probably be a quarter or something. It will have no relation to chores- chores are a part of her job as a member of the family, and she won't be paid for them. I won't force her to save or to give to charity- it's her money and I hope my own example will be enough.

I will continue to give allowance until she is 14 and can legally work, at which point there will be no more allowances, and I will expect her to contribute to her own clothing, shoes, entertainment, etc.
    DD-8, DD-5, DS-2, DD-1

bumping
    Joshua Daniel~ 3/4/08 at 19w4d with us for 68 minutes, forever in our hearts , Michael Aaron- our rainbow baby arrived 5/15/09
    Jacob Ryan- our second rainbow 2/11/12

Thanks for the bump!
    Married: April 20, 2002
    DD: January 25, 2008

We have not been doing allowances, however I will pay the littles for doing various things on the weekend. Special tasks like helping me plant flowers or something like that and it's usually a small amount.

I have just implemented a chore chart for my oldest though and told him if everything on the chart gets done by the time I get home from work then I will give him $15 for the week. I stuck to the dollar for each year of age rule. Dh totally protested the money when I was explaining it, but I told him I didn't mind rewarding the good behavior and thought it would be motivating since he's constantly asking for money if he goes into town with friends. This is the first week and he's done an awesome job. One of his chores is to now the lawn and it'stime consuming...it took me 1 1/2 hours to now 1/2 of it. Totally worth it.

I will note that I have tried to implement the chore chart and allowance before and it has not worked in the past when he was younger. I did tell him this time that the internet will get shut off if he didn't complete his tasks daily though.