Quantcast
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Indoor activities with a toddler

Okay I need some ideas. Now that cold weather is fast approaching the days DS and I can play outside are numbered.
    I sah with ds who is almost 16 months so I'm looking for some ideas of different things I can do with him when it's to cold to go outside.
    We don't belong to a mommy and me class right now but we do go to story time at the libary but that's only once a week.

So any tips on things to do so neither of us get bored and go stir crazy.

TIA.

Books (LOTS of them )
    Puppet shows
    Make homemade Play-Doh
    Play on musical instruments (raid your kitchen to see what you have that can be used as musical instruments - such as beating on Tupperware bowls, etc.)
    Play dress-up
    Developmental toys appropriate for his age
    Bring a couple of huge boxes home from an appliance store and carve out a door and window to make his own little fort

If you live in a cold climate that gets snow, don't forget to go outside occasionally and make snowmen, snow angels, pull your DC on a sled, etc.

I'm not sure if this would be too "old" for him but my mom used to make a "cave" out of blankets and chairs and read to us by flashlight, or let us use our imaginations and turn it in to whatever we wanted
    "You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love." Julia Child

A big bowl of uncooked beans or lentils and a bunch of smaller containers, spoons, etc. to mess around with can keep DD busy for quite a while.

Art - crayons, colored pencils, etc... Let the kid go wild on a big piece of paper.

Books.

Sometimes when I have nowhere to go but want to get out of the house, I take her to Ikea. They are very child-friendly and their toys and play furniture are fun to explore.
    Married 07-15-00
    2 girls: L. 08-28-03 and E. 08-18-06
    Journal

When we're housebound, DD likes to play with her Aquadoodle, water (she plays with cups and bottles and sponges in the bathroom sink), and recently has gotten into playing with baby dolls. She likes to feed her baby and then put her to bed (which is quite hilarious to watch).

At DD's daycare, they paint with glitter paints or else with regular paints, but using fun things like feathers or Qtips as brushes. They also have an open area where kids play with big toys, and one of the most popular activities there is to chase the hula hoops. The teachers roll them across the floor, and the kids go nuts chasing them.

Going on outings, even to places you wouldn't normall associate as being "fun" for a kid are great, too. DD loves riding the car shopping cart at the grocery store...

Thanks for the ideas ladies!

I really wish I could ds to sit and read a book with me but I guess there is just to much going on. Luckily we do get to read at bedtime though.

I can't eat out every week but twice a month would be nice.I keep meaning to take him to the pet store-that's an idea.

My mom bought him a tunnel/house thing for Christmas and it's already wrapped-I hope I can hold out until Christmas.

Good point about Ikea-he also likes their swedish meatballs. Kill two birds with one stone.

we've been doing art projects. she's still too young for finger paints though, that was a nightmare

we've been doing art projects. she's still too young for finger paints though, that was a nightmare
    Today 08:19 PM
    LOL. I can only imagine doing that with Josh. He'd have paint everywhere!

There are also some great books with ideas for inside toddler activities. I like The Toddler's Busy Book and Gymboree's Toddler book.

-cooking projects

-all sorts of craft projects--I put together a gigantic craft box before our basement was finished that i kept in the kitchen where she does her projects. now that it's finished, we have an entire craft/art area down there.

-water color painting

-make playdoh and other molding dough recipes together

-go to the indoor treehouse at our local mall

-take DD to DHs office and go to lunch (small family company--Grandpa loves to see her as well as everyone else)

-at 16 months i had DD in 2 classes. Kindermusik and an indoor gym class, so that took up two mornings a week.

-library to pick out books once every 2 weeks. (we were never able to get into story time as her other classes always conflicted)

-"make something" in her play kitchen

-play grocery store

-get out all the little people sets and make one huge elaborate town

-set asside a junk art box full of empty TP and paper towel rolls, old lids, yogurt containers, paper scraps, ribbon scraps etc. pull it out on a rainy day and create something. save all old crayons and one day, take the bits of crayons and melt them in mini muffin pans into new colorful crayons.

-Play the piano (if you have one. ) DD could spend a good 30 minutes at the piano when she was 16 months old.

-local children's museum

Even when it's freezing cold out, i make it a point to leave the house at least once a day. I would go CRAZY if we didn't. DD has been sick all week this past week and we've both been literally going nuts. we NEED an outing to break up the day for both our sanity.
    Lisa & Corbett 9-30-00
    Annabelle Kristine 8-8-02
    R. Ryder is here! 12-6-05