Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trillian Guest

Default Anyone own one of these ranges?

DH and I are planning on ordering a new stove tonight. We know that we want a smooth-top stainless (or stainless-look) electric range. We are only going to be in this house for a couple more years, so we don't want to go all out on anything we can't recoup in the sale. Unless there's some great feature that the more expensive models have, I think we will go with this one:

Stainless Steel w/Black Kenmore 30 in. Electric Self-Clean Freestanding Range
    Sears item #02296123000 Mfr. model #96123

Details

Anyone have this stove or something similar? Reviews? Things to look for?

Have a similar one but not a Kenmore. Remember that most appliance places do price matching on like models; I got mine for about $100 less that the regular sale price because I shopped for the lowest price and then went to Lowes who matched plus 10% off. But only Sears sells Kenmore, so you can't pricematch those!

My mom's has the expandable burner which is great--you're not limited to 2 lg and 2 sm. Plus she has the warmer in the center. Those are 2 things I would have that I don't. We got the 'base model'.
    Us ~2005 * #1~2006 * #2~2008 * #3~-2010 * #4 due 9/19/12

We just got the smooth-top stainless range. While it looks cool, I wouldn't make the same decision if there was an electric range with coils on top. The reason? We have cast iron pots, pans, skillets, etc. The smooth top is ceremic. If I try to stir something, the pot will spin easily. If even water spills over, I have to get out the range cleaner immediately. That said, I think you'll definitely get your money's worth if you are selling - people love stainless and the stove looks really cool.
    May those who love us love us. And for those who don't, may God turn their hearts. And if not, may God turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

Quote Originally Posted by kam
    We just got the smooth-top stainless range. While it looks cool, I wouldn't make the same decision if there was an electric range with coils on top. The reason? We have cast iron pots, pans, skillets, etc. The smooth top is ceremic. If I try to stir something, the pot will spin easily. If even water spills over, I have to get out the range cleaner immediately. That said, I think you'll definitely get your money's worth if you are selling - people love stainless and the stove looks really cool.
    FWIW, our house has a ceramic top range and we don't have a problem with pots spinning. Our range is older, so maybe it happens with "unseasoned" range tops? Also, I don't get out the range cleaner every time something boils over. It will hiss and evaporate, but it doesn't cause damage. I wipe ours down with Simple Green when I clean up and only use the buffing range cleaner periodically.

I really like not having drip pans

Oh - I just noticed the PP said she had cast iron pots. We don't use cast iron, just galvanized and stainless steel cookware (copper clad and aluminum disk).

We have a Kenmore stainless range, and we LOVE it! Ours has gas burners, which I personally prefer over electric smooth tops. But overall I think the Kenmore stainless ranges are great looking, and ours has been a dream to cook with. FWIW, our housing inspector said the oven was far more accurate than most ranges he has tested and my snobby "I'll only buy a Viking" MIL is actually quite fond of our Kenmore range.

Stainless Steel w/Black Kenmore Elite 40 in. Dual Fuel Self-Clean Range with Sealed Burners and Elec. Convection Oven

I have something similar, ours is gas range and oven and it has a warming draw, I love cooking on it. Kenmore is such a great reliable brand, you can't go wrong!!!

My MIL used to have one of those and she didn't like it. She could never get more than maybe 3 quarts of water to boil at once, and that was a big issue since they're Italian and they eat a lot of pasta for family gatherings. Also, she said it was a real pain to clean. Hers was always clean and didn't have any "stains", but I have no idea what was necessary for the upkeep. She did say everytime water boiled over or anything it was a huge headache. She got one when they first came out, though, so the newer ones might not have the same issues? She did say she would never buy one again, but I still think they look really nice!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

We have one and I really like it compared to the one I grew up with (coils). My mother just bought one also and uses special cleaner for hers, but I just use soft scrub and then shine it with a little windex. I am not sure if that is the proper way to clean it, but it works for me. It can be a pain when something boils over. To me it is still easier to clean than drip pans.

Oh, I use cast iron on mine all the time and have never had a problem, but mine is at least 4 years old. Hope that helped a little.

we have the same range in black and I really like it. My pots don't spin, if water spoils over it is easy to clean up after you have dinner, and we eat a lot of pasta and I can't get my HUGE pot to boil so I think you will enjoy the range/oven.

My favorite feature is the delayed start. If i have to run an errand I can put something in the oven and it will turn itself on. I use this feature about once a week so dinner is ready at a reasonable time.

Delayed start?

Oh, that would ROCK!

Oh, I can't wait for our kitchen remodel!