Quantcast

Default Closing on old house - New house not ready!

Ok - we just sold our house and we are planning on closing on 12/1 - but our new house won't be ready (new construction) until at least 12/15. Are there any companies that will pack your stuff for you into one of those Pod things and then unpack it for you? We have a toddler and bad backs so we can't move the stuff ourselves...any advice?

I don't really know much about PODS, but there are movers who will do both and usually the storage is at a reduced rate. I remember when I looked into the PODS-the storage alone in my area was around $300 a month-that didn't include anyone loadingt it or having the POD moved to my new house. Have you asked the buyers if you could rent from them for those two weeks? I remember my co-worker was able to do that when her house was not ready.
    Nathan Christopher arrived on 2/7/06 9lbs 14oz

We have done several moves where it has included between 2-4 wks storage for free and then a reduced rate for longer storage. I would try to rent back though.
    Hailey Morgan 8-6-2003
    Logan Danielle 5-25-2007
    Sugar and Spice and everything nice - two little girls!

Our last movers offered a short term storage of your stuff as well. Just call around and ask.

you might want to find other options than renting back from owners. that can be pretty pricey. i remember it was going to be over $300/day for the previous owners to do that if they had decided to stay longer.

Quote Originally Posted by rebjc
    you might want to find other options than renting back from owners. that can be pretty pricey. i remember it was going to be over $300/day for the previous owners to do that if they had decided to stay longer.
    Wow that's crazy. When we closed on our house, the previous owners had the option to rent back for 30 days and the rate was less than $50/day - I think it was around $30. It does depend on the price of the home, and ours was pretty cheap (around $150k), so that could be why.
    DS: 11-20-2006
    Boy/Girl Twins: 4-3-2011
    DD 4/3/2013

delaney - well, some of it may have to do with a more expensive house, but proportionally, it is still very high. i think they it so high, so the previous owners will be motivated to leave.