Quantcast
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Default How did you tell DH (and/or your parents) you were pg?

I loved reading this thread on the *other* site, and as we move closer to our TTC date I would really like to get some more ideas. Please post away!!

How did you tell DH you were pg?

How did you tell your parents?

Any special gifts that you gave them (grandparents' photo album, baby name book, etc)???

TIA!!

Hey there!

When I told DH and my parents, it was nothing 'special' I just 'told' them.

DH: He was 'in school' online with headphones (listening to a class lecture) I brought over the + test stick and mouthed to him, "Do you see a line?" lol

My parents: Well, my sister and I went out to lunch and she asked me, "So when are you gonna have a baby" (I was already pg) I just stared at her and she could read me, she started jumping up and down "Omg omg omg!!! Are you serious?" Right then I knew I had to tell my parents or she would've beat me to it. DH and my dad were out playing golf (I think) so I said "Mom come here, I love you, I am pregnant." lol My mom started crying. Then when DH and my dad came back, my mom went to my dad and said "We're gonna be grandparents!!"

Sorry, I wish I could help you. But I've heard people doing some neat things!! I wish you and your DH all the luck in TTC!!!!! I cant wait to read a post from you saying "I am PG!!!"

DH: It was our anniversary so I wrapped up the + HPT. He opened it and looked at it like WTF? So I told him what it was - then he was happy

Parents: We took our parents out to dinner (all at once!) and told them there. Nothing fancy. We didn't give them anything - they're not into that.
    *A+J = 05.31.03 *A = 01.22.06 * C = 01.10.08 * M = 10.09.10 *

If you don't mind me asking, when?

He already had a really good idea that I was and told me I couldn't test until I was late. I did the test and it said I was, but he wasn't sure he believed it or not. We did a second test and he was there for that one. He was so excited, that he would talk to my belly.

We told our parents with Christmas cards, and then had the fun of the shock hitting them, other than my mom who had it figured out.
    Kat
    Ben 8/18/05 Mikey 2/20/07 #3 due 9/02/08

Daniel's Kitty ~
    If you don't mind me asking, when?
    Do you mean when are we going to TTC? Tentatively we've scheduled for August/Sept of this year.
    Married ~ 2004
    DS #1 2007
    DS #2 2010

Bump! I want to see some more answers -- I may need help SOON!

Rebs

DH I had to tell him on the phone (he was away)! I thought I'd had AF the week before and was totally in shock. I, too, had thought about creative ways to tell him prior to TTC, but I learned that in reality, sometimes you are too shocked to do anything but blurt out, "oh my God, I think I'm pregnant!!"

Family (Grandparents) We found out right after Easter, so I took the picture of my positive HPT and doctored it up in PhotoShop to say "Congratulations! You are going to be a Grandma/Grandpa, EDD 12/12/05". I then took that picture and mixed it in with the Easter pictures and let them look through the pile. I stole this idea from a friend and it turned out great!

DH: It was our anniversary so I wrapped up the + HPT. He opened it and looked at it like WTF? So I told him what it was - then he was happy
    This is similar to my story Mine's kinda long, but I'll tell it anyway...

How I told DH:
    The first month we TTC I took a HPT and it came back negative, so DH didn't think I was pregnant. We were referring to TTC as "catching the egg." After we saw the BFN, we both just said something like, "Oh well, we'll catch the egg next month."

At the time, I did not realize that I was testing too early. Long story short, about a week later I had an "OMG, I think I am pregnant" moment. DH was out of town on business for a few days, so I went out and bought a bunch of HPTs. I took the first one and it was positive. I took another one (different brand). Big fat positive. I took 3-4 tests and they were all positive. I was shocked (but very excited). Since DH was out of town, I had a few days to decide how/when I wanted to tell him. I knew wanted to do it in person, and our 1st anniversary was 5 days away. Since I didn't have any gift ideas for him anyway, I decided to drop the bomb on our anniversary day

I wrapped up the first HPT that had 2 lines. I also bought a bib that says "I love my daddy" and I also bought a children's book by Todd Parr called "The Daddy Book." It just happened to be Easter time too, so the stores had lots of Easter decorations. I found some really cool decorative Easter eggs at Pier One. I bought those in the spirit of our motto: "catch the egg ." I wrapped them all up and then had to wait 5 days!! It was VERY hard to keep the secret from DH! I was dying to tell him, but was determined to wait.

He opened the eggs first. He looked at me like WTF are these for? Then he opened the bib. He had no idea what I was trying to tell him. Then he opened The Daddy Book. I think it started to sink in at that point. I had written a note inside the front cover telling him that he was going to be the greatest daddy in the world. He just kinda looked at me like "Are you trying to tell me something, or am I silly to think that?" Then I handed him the HPT and he opened that and just stared at it, then stared at me, then stared at the HPT. Then he got excited!

How we told our parents
    As I mentioned above, Easter was just a week away and we were planning to celebrate the holiday with my family. My mom and I both love wine, and we always drink a lot ( ) of wine together on holidays. She had told me to come to their house early because she had a new wine for us to try. I knew there was no way I could get around it; we were goign to HAVE to tell them so she would know why I wasn't drinking wine. We didnt' want to tell anyone until I was at least 12 weeks along, but we told my parents at 6 weeks. I just bought some "I love grandma" and "I love grandpa" bibs, and we went to their house a few days before Easter and gave them the bibs (wrapped up). Then we made them promise not to tell anyone else!

For DH's parents - we waited until I was 10 weeks along. His sister got married when I was 8 weeks pregnant and we didn't want to tell anyone before the wedding, simply because we wanted her to have her own day without having to share the spotlight with anyone. The week after SIL's wedding was Mother's Day, so we told DH's mom that we wanted to spend the day with her. She didn't suspect anything, she just thought we were visiting her becuase it was Mother's Day. We have her 2 Mother's Day cards - one from us, and one that said "Happy Mother's Day, Grandma!" Then we gave her an "I love Grandma" bib and a couple of "grandma" books (Grandma and Me or something like that).

With my son we told our our parents by giving them the Chicken Soup book for grandparents and a *baby frame* with "Coming Soon Baby XXXX November 2003".

This time we'll be telling them by having DS wear his shirt that says "I'm the big brother Aiden" and seeing how long it takes them to read it.

Nothing exciting in the least with telling DH.
    Shannon and Alex 5/02~~Aiden 11/03
    Maura 03/06 Malcolm 4/08

Shannon, i just have to say Congratulations!! That's wonderful news

I wasn't too creative when telling my husband since we had a false alarm alst year that I wasted the good surprise on So this time, I took a test around lunch just for giggles, not thinking it would be positive (long story) but it was!! I ran out of the bathroom and said "i've got big news!" showed him the stick and we both just smiled

I'm telling my mom tomorrow (5 weeks) since we talk every day and I wouldn't be able to hold out. I bought her favourite kids book from when i was growing up (Paperbad princess) and an "i love grandma" bib, but ti think the card will giv eit away I can't wait!

IL's will not be for a few weeks, but we plan to just go to dinner and give them a card
    Wife 6/14/03 ~ Mom 3/13/06 ~ Mom squared 4/11/08 ~ Mom cubed 12/13/11