Quantcast
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

DH ~ I had mentioned the fact that I wasn't feeling like myself earlier in the week. I got out my date book that I keep track of my cycles in and was figuring up the dates. I told him that I would keep an eye on things. Well my date came and went and no AF. So I decided to go ahead and take a test just to see. I took it while he was at work. When I saw the words 'Pregnant' on the test I was totally in shock. I went to sit down on the bed. That's where I was when DH came home. The test was still on the bathroom counter. DH found it and came into the room. I don't exactly remember what he said. We were both in total shock but thrilled, excited, scared, nervous, happy, and a few other emotions all that the same time.

Family ~ We only told immediate family right away. That included DH's dad and stepmom, his grandparents, his two brothers/wives, my parents, and a close friend of DH's who was/is like a brother to him (they grew up together and he's basically like the 4th brother. Their kids are like nieces and nephews and vice versa). We were coming home for a visit and that's when we told them. We didn't have a creative way of telling them because we were still in amazement ourselves. (I had taken another test in between us finding out and telling family just to be sure. No denying that one either as it turned positive even before the alloted time elapsed.)

Extended Family ~ I emailed my aunt a few weeks after we told family. She and I are very close and always have been. I also told a friend of mine whose was like a sister to me growing up (our families have always been close). Everyone else was told by our letter in our Christmas cards.

Next time maybe I'll/we'll be more creative in the ways we tell everyone. I've already seen some really creative ways that I've got tucked away in my memory. Hopefully I'll be able to remember when the time comes.
    momma to DD & DS

We weren't trying so telling DH was more of a "OH MY GOD!, I think I'm pregnant!!"

We told my parents at my mother's birthday, I wrapped up a book "Why Grandma's Are Special", and signed the card "love Baby B, can't wait to meet you in March '05". She was completely shocked and thrilled.
    #1 3/5/05
    #2 2/15/08

Our baby was the result of the Red Sox winning game 7 of the series against the Yankees that led to the World Series (I joke that I would have been asleep on the couch by 7 pm if it weren't for that game). Anyhow, because of this I put together a gift bag of Red Sox/baseball stuff (world series tshirt, license plate frame, visor, an XBOX baseball game, a Baby Ruth Candy bar, a bag of Fenway Parrk peanuts and included a bag of Cracker Jacks and a baseall. I had put stickers on the baseball that said, July 12th." This was my due date, but also our anniversary which made it fun because why the heck would I give him a baseball with our anniversary on it.

I had opened the Cracker Jacks bag from the bottom, pulled out the prize, opened it carefully and removed the prize and added a piece of paper that read, "Move over Ruth there's a new Babe in town. Our very own Little Bambino is expected to appear in the starting line-up sometime around the All-Star break."

He was completely shocked. We had been trying for a couple of months, but the gift bag was the last thing he suspected.

HIS FAMILY: We went to Maine for the Thanksgiving weekend and after everyone had left we talked his step-dad, mom, brother and SIL into watching a video we had made. We told them it was some footage of all of the things that were "new around our house." Kudos to them for humoring us as they sat through snip-its of our new roof, the new light fixture in the dining room, our new dining room table, the stairway to the basement that DH had painted, a drainage ditch, etc....you know real edge-of-your-seat material. His mom commentated as the silent video played, "oh you put new hardware on the cabinet...oooh a new light.." and so on.

Then we came to the segment that focused first on the outside of the oven, then on the open oven and finally a close-up of it's contents. Her commentary continued, "a new stove? no that's the same stove...oh there's something in side...bread...you made bread...a bun?...a bun in the oven!!!!!"

My FAMILY: A few weeks later we had my mom, dad, sister and BIL over for dinner. I had made my neice a sweatshirt that read, "I'm going to have a baby brother in February" on the front and the back read, "And a Baby Cousin in July." I put it on her when we went upstairs to get some puzzles and let the family read it when we came down.

EVERYONE ELSE: We sent out a paper with our xmas cards that had a stork flying with a baby. I added a Red Sox hat to the baby and wrote, "We've Drafted a Rookie to our 2005 Team...Baby D is expected to appear in the starting line-up this July." I used the Red Sox B to start the word Baby.
    Camden Joshua - born 7.23.05

For my DH, we had only been TTC for one month so I was sure that I wasn't. My cycles have never been regular but when I was more than a month late, I figured I would at least check it out. I waited til DH was back in town and told him I was planning on testing - I couldn't sleep that night at ALL. I finally got up around 5 AM to test and got a BFP! I sat stunned in the bathroom for a few minutes and then crawled into bed. DH asked - is everything ok? Did you not sleep? To which I replied That's ok honey. In about 9 months, you're not going to get any sleep either. It took him a minute! We hugged and then stayed up chatting fro a little while and then we both fell back asleep.

I actually told my sister first as she had been trying to conceive and had had a couple of miscarriages. Due to that, we waited til I was 12 weeks before telling anyone. My sister flew down from NYC as a "surprise" for Mother's Day and we got both moms (and my dad) in a room for lunch. We waited till dessert to give them their mother's day gifts. I found these great "help wanted" cards for grandmas, the "Im too young to be a grandmother book" for the moms and a fun book for my dad along with a sappy card.

Allegra

Last edited by Allegra; 08-02-2005 at 08:32 AM.

This totally slipped my mind until now. We got each of the grandmas (my mom, DH's stepmom, and his grandma) a 'Grandma's Brag Book.' We were going to give them to them at the baby shower but a death in the family prevented us from getting the books when we wanted to so we gave them in the hospital.
    momma to DD & DS

BUMP! Here you go Mel.

Default PG: How did you tell him/them:

I was wondering how you all told your DH's that you were pg, what about family and friends. I would love to hear about your "creativity".

I read a story about a woman who had her parents over for dinner. They were all sitting down to eat when she asked her mom to go grab what was out of the oven. (the woman had placed a single bun on the rack) . From the kitchen her mom yelled "why do you have a bun in the oven?" And then realized what she just said and came crying into the dinning room! I thought that was pretty creative.
    got married: 08/27/05
    had a girl: 10/05/06 - then a boy: 12/18/08
    and now another boy: 09/21/10

Is it your first pregnancy? I just saw on America's Funniest Home Videos (embarrassingly, one of our favorite shows) a couple who spilled the beans on one of their parents' birthdays by signing "Happy Birthday...dear Grandpa/ma..." I thought that was so cute!

My DH was home sleeping when I took the preg test, so I just woke him up and showed it to him.

We told our parents on Father's Day. I got our dads cards that said "Happy Father's Day, Grandpa." The same thing would work for any holiday or birthday card.