Quantcast
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oregonians

summerbaby - I teach in the Tigard-Tualatin school district, and I will tell you that it is one of the best around. I would (personally) stay away from Portland City Schools and check our the 'burbs. Sherwood has a great school district, Tualatin is fantastic, as well. You can check out TTSD by going to www.ttsd.k12.or.us - good luck with your decision!!!
    James & Jennifer - 12.18.04 ~~ Little Man - July 2006 ~~ Big Little Sister - April 2009 ~~ Little Dude - May 2011; my Mother's Day gift!

Hello ladies. I am a former Oregonian, but when I saw this thread I thought I would drop by and read your stories. I miss Oregon so bad sometimes . I am currently a North Carolinian. I lived in Oregon for most of my life....about 25 yrs! I grew up on a ranch in the southeastern part of Oregon in a little town named Adel. My Dad managed all the irrigating for the MC Ranch, this ranch no longer exists of course, it was bought out by all the other ranchers in this same community. I have a lot of family that still lives there. They live in Lakeview, Silverlake, Gentura (sp?), Fort Rock, and my parents still live in Adel. I love to go visit, and hopefully I will be going back soon to see my family.

It was great to find this thread.

Ciao
    ~Raquel~
    A Diamond is no one night stand...A Diamond is a long term commitment

Life as Joe's wife, and Bailey's Mommy too!

I am, just moved from midwest a year ago and am in Wilsonville. I go to PSU though, so i guess i just wanted to say hi.

DH and I getting ready to celebrate our 1st anniversay in December... anyone have any restaurant suggestions in the Portland area?
    James & Jennifer - 12.18.04 ~~ Little Man - July 2006 ~~ Big Little Sister - April 2009 ~~ Little Dude - May 2011; my Mother's Day gift!

ok... this thread is dead! I hope we can revive it!

We ended up going to Portland City Grill for dinner... it was good. Not as fancy as people described it being, and the food was ok. You can't beat the view, though!

It snowed on our anniversary - it was gorgeous!

Default Hi Ladies!

I'm not currently an Oregonian, but may be quite soon! DH just interviewed for a residency program at OHSU and loved it, so that may be where we end up this summer.

We went to college in Washington and know a little bit about Portland, but moving to a city you are even slightly familiar with is daunting! I'm eager to learn more about the burbs that have already been mentioned, but can anyone give me some advice/direction about relatively nice neighborhoods not too far from OHSU where we could buy a house for around $200,000??

I look forward to hanging around here and chatting with you ladies.

Default rambling about my city

Quote Originally Posted by Aletheia
    can anyone give me some advice/direction about relatively nice neighborhoods not too far from OHSU where we could buy a house for around $200,000??
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a very very small chance that you'll find a house near OHSU for less than 300,000. The "Lair Hill" area is incredibly expensive to live in, even to just rent, and so you will most likely end up further out if that's what you're looking to spend.

Have you looked at CraigsList for Portland and seen what you can find in the area? My husband (who works on the hill and interviewed for med school last Wednesday) and I live in Hillsdale, which is expensive to live/rent in, but here are some areas for you and your husband to look at:
    -Lair Hill
    -Hillsdale - my husband rides his bike up the hill (~3 miles each way) to OHSU daily and I take a 10 minute bus ride to the patient billing office for OHSU in downtown Portland
    -Multnomah Village
    -Burlingame
    -Raleigh Hills
    -West Slope
    -Garden Home
    -the West Hills (incredibly expensive area of town though)
    -"SW Portland" (which is all three of those areas "together") is on the West side of the river which is where I'd recommend for OHSU's commute.

(If you want to talk more, drop me an email and we'll talk. sarah libelle at gmail dot com)

I hope my rambling made SOME sense.
    ad astra per aspera
    starbound through tribulation

Great info- thanks, Sarah. DH gets home (finally!) from residency interviews on Thursday-- I'll certainly be talking with him about your suggestions.

After I posted my question, I spent some time looking at real estate in Portland and realized your "bad news," so don't worry! I was prepared to get it. DH thinks we can afford more than $200, so we'll see.

I'm sure I'll be in touch again soon, but your "in the know" list gives me somewhere to start, so thank you thank you thank you!

artist Guest

Hi! Looks like nobody has posted here in a long time, but I was curious about:

Tualatin, Oregon

I guess DH applied for a job there. We're pretty content to be in St. Paul, MN, but I have always heard great things about the state of Oregon and I have relatives who live there too. I've never been there myself and wouldn't move somewhere I've never traveled to. Chances are we'll probably just stay where we are as we're pretty settled in MN, have family in MN, etc. However, I am really curious and in the back of my mind I have always daydreamed of living in Oregon, so I'd like more information in case this becomes a real possibility.

I am already convinced your state is beautiful!

I am impressed with things (at least in Portland anyway) like cars that anyone can drive, "mental speedbumps" (traffic calming), etc. I also love coffee and love the rain.

Anyway, my questions are these...

What is Tualatin like? How long does it take to drive to Portland from there? If I am VERY MUCH a city/urban person, would it be better for me to live in Portland instead? (The job DH applied to is in Tualatin.)

In either Tualatin or Portland, what are neighborhoods that are worth looking at? We have a dog and 2 cats and someday want kids. Are there certain neighborhoods to definitely avoid? Are the schools good? Do people in Portland have school choice, meaning magnet schools and the kids can go to any school in the city, or do kids have to go to neighborhood schools? Are the public schools adequate? How safe are both places? What is the quality of life?

I like to live somewhere where there is plenty to do. I am used to living in a mid-sized city. I absolutely MUST live somewhere with a strong arts community to be happy. Can you tell me anything about the arts and culture of this area? What other fun things can a person do? (Such as sports events, boating, sight seeing, etc.)

I love really old houses and hardwood floors. Will it be possible to find an affordable old home like this?

What is an "affordable" home? What is a "typical salary" or rather, how much gross pay would a family need to survive?

I probably could think of other questions, but thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these questions!

Wow, it doesn't look like anyone's posted here in ages.

I'm doing some research and would appreciate any/all recommendations for real estate agents with good websites in Portland.