Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oregonians

Default Oregon

I'm going to start a little Oregon thread here. We had a thriving one at one point on that other board, but I think it died out ofter we were through with all the weddings.

Anyway, I'm Michelle, and right now I live in Pendleton, which horrifies anyone who lives west of The Dalles. I grew up in Portland, and DH and I moved to Pendleton about a year ago. It has grown on us. At first I hated it, but I've met a lot of wonderful people and have a close group of friends. I love having a five minute commute, no traffic, no crowds, and the Blue and Wallowa mountains just minutes away.

Any more Oregonians out there?
    m & r 08.09.03
    miranda 10.30.06
    evan 05.04.10

Hi! I'm Anna. I just moved here from AZ two weeks ago. I'm in Hillsboro. Where's Pendleton? What's it like?

I love it here in Hillsboro - it's so unique. I'm only a 5 minute commute from work (if I choose to go in, mostly I work at home) and I can't believe how close my doctor is and the hospital. I'm not used to this kind of life - in Arizona, it was a chore to just go across the street, with the traffic and the heat.

I'm going into Portland this weekend to have a spa appointment at Dosha. I can't wait!

Hi! Another Oregonian here. I'm Angie and live about 30 miles from Portland. We're moving soon, but sticking around in Oregon. I love it here
    The opposite of war isn't peace....
    It's creation.

Hi girls- I'm down in Eugene while DH gets his MBA from UO. We moved out here from the east coast (Virginia), and we are having a great time getting to know the beautiful area!!

Anna -
    DH and I lived in Beaverton when we were in Portland. I grew up in North Portland near U of P. You're lucky to have such a short commute. I worked in Wilsonville when I lived in Beaverton. I had an 18 mile commute that would easily take an hour each way.

Pendleton is 200 miles east of Portland on I-84. It's much more dry and hot out here. It's kind of a western town - cowboys and whatnot. Population is about 16,000. I'm totally a city kid, so it was kind of a shock moving here. No good restaurants and not very many shops. But it's grown on me. DH and I live within walking distance of nearly everyone we know in a cute neighborhood. The main employers here (aside from ranching and farming) are state and local government and the tribal government, so there are a lot of young professional types (DH is an attorney and I'm a social worker). There's a local orchestra called the Oregon East Symphony which I play in, so that has been fun (I was a music major in college). Buying a house will be easy here if we decide to stay. We've been poking around and have found a lot of nice houses in the $125,00-150,000 range.

Angie -
    Do you know where you're moving yet?

Juliana -
    Eugene is so beautiful. I was realy hoping DH would have found a job there or in Bend when he was looking all over the state.

So glad to see so many Oregon gals!
    m & r 08.09.03
    miranda 10.30.06
    evan 05.04.10

Hi Michelle~
    We're moving probably to the Milwaukie area. My hubby just got transfered there from Tigard and HATES driving. Anything to make his commute shorter is motivation. Plus, I'm in the early stages of owning my own photography business and I need a house that I can build a studio in.

I really enjoyed Pendleton. I haven't been since I was 12, but it was alot of fun. The drive is somethin' else, though.
    The opposite of war isn't peace....
    It's creation.

Hello!

My name is Jennifer and I am a lifetime Oregon resident! I am currently living in the town where I was born and raised, but have lived in Corvallis, Salem, and West Linn during the progression of my undergrad and graduate work.
    DH and I live in Lakeview, which is a town of about 2,500 people. Like Pendleton, it's very rich in agriculture- but that's about it. Not only is it a small town, but it is also very isolated and you have to drive several hours for any decent shopping! That being said, I absolutely LOVE it here. Life is so peaceful and simple!

Michelle- I'm embarrassed to admit that after 30 years of living here, I have never seen the Wallowa mountains in person. Photos of them are just breathtaking! I'm going to see the mtns. and the town of Joseph sometime soon I hope. I've really neglected the NE side of the state!!!

Angie- How cool that you are starting a photography business! One of my best friends grew up in Milwaukie. Pleasant area.

Juliana- Glad you're enjoying Oregon! Eugene is a very pretty town- so green!
    Jen & Tim 7-17-04 ~ Truman Max 9-29-05 ~ Thomas Patrick 01-18-08

Jennifer -
    Hey, I had never even been to Pendleton before I moved here, and I had never even HEARD of the Wallowa mountains. They are like Oregon's best-kept secret. If they were closer to Portland, they'd be mobbed all the time (like Mt. Hood).

This is a pic DH took of the Wallowas last time we were in Enterprise:
    m & r 08.09.03
    miranda 10.30.06
    evan 05.04.10

Michelle-

Oooh! pretty pic! I agree, if they were closer, they would be mobbed! I went to Pendleton for the first time a few years ago for a conference- I love the rolling hills! That's what I love about Oregon- there's such an array of terrain.
    Jen & Tim 7-17-04 ~ Truman Max 9-29-05 ~ Thomas Patrick 01-18-08

Another Oregonian checking in! DH and I are transplant Oregon residents - I teach and live in Tigard (the driving in Tigard itself really stinks), and DH works in Hillsboro. We are purchasing a home in the NE section of Portland - we close in 12 days!

I visited Pendleton last year - a girl who I work with grew up there. Another woman I work with is from that area, as well. They both swear that I need to visit for the Round-Up!

We moved here from New York 2 years ago - the adjustment from the hustle and bustle of the east coast has been a difficult transformation to make. I have never been camping, I don't like to hike, and the idea of not having snow is making me a weird commodity here in OR.