Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you organize and store your craft items?

Hi there!

I was hoping you crafty ladies could share some tips and suggestions for organizing your craft and/or hobby items.

I have lots of stuff for different things such as knitting, needlepoint, cross-stitch, etc. and right now they're lumped into shopping bags.

I know bins are very popular but I'm wary of having just stacks of bins with the various materials tossed in them. What methods do you prefer for organizing and keeping the materials neat and tidy? Any ideas are welcome and pics or links are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Cake or Death?

I have an old tackle box that I keep some of my sewing stuff in. I have a couple sets of plastic drawers on wheels that I sorted yarn and cross stitch projects into. And my scrabbooking stuff is in various smaller bins and I have one small set of drawers that has been very handy - 1 drawer for scrapbook pens, one for cutting supplies and last drawer has some randome stuff in it.

It works pretty well for me.
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

Hey girl! I've seen those rolling drawers before. So they work well? The small set of drawers you mentioned - is that one of those plastic ones or is it an actual piece of furniture you use?

PS - Look at Butter - all grown up but still a cutie-pie
    Cake or Death?

I have a set of these in a closet:

I decided on a purpose for each section - one is for cross stitch patterns & fabrics, one is for quilling stuff, one is for yarn crafts, two are for sewing/quilting, and one is for miscellaneous stuff. It works pretty well for me.
    ~Amanda~
    * Married to Derek 12-21-02 *** Mommy to Clara 1-25-09 *
    * LJ *

darn it, I thought I had a picture somewhere of my craft storage system but I can't find it.

anyway, the drawers work really well for me and help keep things sorted. the really small set I use for scrapbooking accessories is plastic and maybe only a foot tall. the other two sets are also plastic but more like end table height. I got the bigger ones at Target, my Mom gave me the small one so I'm not sure where she got it.
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

I do stamping and have two sets of rolling drawers right now; however I really don't like it. I like things to be more accessible. Once I get the house settled a bit more, my big project is going to be organizing the stamping stuff. Between paper, inks, stamp sets, accessories & tools ~ there's a LOT to organize!!

mmeblue - I have one of those I used to use in college! Maybe I could use it with bins in each cubby or something.

camberne - What is it that makes the rolling drawers inaccessible for you? I know that craft stuff just accumulates! What alternatives are you considering?

Jane - I'll have to check out Target's stuff this weekend - I do know they usually have some good stuff that I might find useful.

PS - Speaking of organizing - If there is an Organized Living near you, you might want to check it out since I think they're going out of business and liquidating all the stock in the stores!
    Cake or Death?

I have a craft table with a tablecloth over it. Underneath are storage drawers. I bought and returned several sets before finding one that I really liked! It also had to be able to fit my 12x12 scrapbooking paper in it!

Here is what I settled on

from Container Store. I love these! I got different colors so I can easily remember which items are in which drawers.
    Container Store Large Drawer Link
    Our First Home: 05/2009

I am currently in love with this armoire by Creative Interiors:

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm hoping to soon!
    My blog ~ in which I write about books, my kids, cakes, food, and anything else that crosses my mind...

Wow - that's pretty impressive, Chandy. I like how it looks like a regular piece of furniture.
    Cake or Death?