Quantcast

Default Computer Game Freak?

Last edited by PinkMartini; 01-28-2011 at 03:44 PM.

My DH is not as bad as your FH sounds, but we have had arguments about how much time he spends gaming. He was spending so much time gaming that his grades were slipping and he was forgetting to do his normal household responsibilities, and I was pissed. I am working my butt off putting him through school and he is wasting time playing a stupid game? We had a nice, long chat about everything that included some tears on my side and things are getting better.

Sometimes I feel like he would rather spend time with his Battlefield 2 clan than me, but since I have expressed that to him things have improved. Now when I feel neglected, I just mention that I would like to spend some time with him (wink, wink) and he is pretty good about making a quick exit from his game.

My only advice is to talk to him. These games are insane and once they join a gaming clan, it almost becomes an obsession. I totally understand what you are going through. We should make a support group for women who are neglected by their gaming men.
    Trevor + Rachel 6.8.02
    Daria Lynn 11.8.06

Violet Allegra 12.14.08

Unfortunately I 100% understand what you ladies are going through. My FH is playing computer games anytime he doesn't have class. It is just crazy. And frustrating. I HATE it, and we fight about it often. There are so many times I wish I could kill his computer, but I know he'd just go out and get another one.
    LJ: SparklingStar21

Quote Originally Posted by PinkMartini

He gets on AS SOON as he gets home from work (3pm) and will play straight through until 10pm with only a break to eat dinner. On the weekend's that's ALL he does. Wakes up at like 7am and plays ALL DAY until 10 - 11 at night. It's gotten to the point where I have to DEMAND him to get off to spend time with me. He doesn't want to do ANYTHING with me and it's seriously pissing me off.
    I bet it is! Treating it as any other hobby is one thing, but my gosh, it sounds like it is consuming his life. Of course, at least it isn't interfering with his job, but it sounds like it is interfering with every other aspect of his life. I can't imagine how he can contribute to household tasks and chores if he spends all his time at home gaming, and you've mentioned the fact that you two never do anything together because of his gaming. Please know that you are justified in being fed up and asking him to make changes. I hope you are able to come to some sort of compromise.

Last edited by PinkMartini; 01-28-2011 at 03:44 PM.

My DH was obsessed with the online game Everquest. He had just started getting into it when I met him. I didn't really mind until I moved in with him. He spent sooo much time on the computer, and I couldn't understand why he'd rather play a computer game online instead of spend time with me or other people. I finally got fed up when we were going to visit family on Easter. He asked if he could stay home and play his game since they were doing something at a certain time. I blew up! We finally discussed the situation seriously, and he did reduce the amount of time he was on the computer. He also made the decision to stop the game completely when my DS was born.
    He has not played the game for almost a year now, and it is great!! Even now, he'll say something like, "I can't believe how much time I spent on that game."
    One thing I would suggest is to track how much time he is on the computer for about a week. Then you can actually show him how many hours he plays his game. When you do something like that, you don't realize exactly how much time you are on it. When someone shows you a number, it can be shocking. There was one week I added up all the hours my DH was on the computer and it was over 40 hours. It kind of hit him that the time he was spending on the computer was more than having a 2nd job, and he wasn't getting paid for being on the computer!!
    Frankie 10/15/04
    Zachary & Tyler 3/10/08**The journal of a tired mom!**

jimmysgirl424 Guest

My DH spends quite a bit of time gaming between the computer and his PS2. Yes, it can drive me quite batty at times, but it hasn't gotten out of hand to the point where I'm ready to blow up. The only thing that will really pi$$ me off is when we get home from work and he tells me he is starving, so I jump right into the kitchen to cook dinner. Then, when it's ready, he is playing a game and wants to wait till he "finds a place to save it". Aarrghhh!! Definitely an occasion where I have threatened to take a baseball bat to his PS2!

ITA with MtySheera- keep a written log of how much time he spends gaming. It's likely he will be totally shocked when you show him just how much of his life he is wasting away gaming.....

You also need to drag him away from his game and let him know how much this is upsetting you. Some tears on your part will probably help as well. Men just don't realize when they are upsetting us most of the times.