Quantcast
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Once again, CC has exactly the info I've been looking for. You girls are sooo helpful!

We are seriously considering CR for our next vacation. Now here's my questions...how did you get to each place. We've never done a vacation where you go to different spots. So do you have to set up flights, do you drive, do you have someone else organize everything? How does that all work?

TIA! You guys are great!

My travel agent organized the whole trip, so she set up transfers to get us from the airport to the hotel and then to the other hotels. It was much easier that us doing all the legwork.

DH and I have also decided to do Costa Rica as our big vacation this year. I'm going to start doing research on it this weekend, but could use a little advice. We will have 10 full days...how many areas would you recommend hitting in that time period? We do like to keep busy but also relax.

Boilermaker, we spent 10 days in Costa Rica 2 years ago. We visited Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio and also spent a day rafting the Rio Pacuraye (left from San Jose). I wouldn't do any more than that, and would probably leave out Monteverde if I were to do it again. It was a really neat place, but we felt a little rushed. Overall, I loved Costa Rica and really want to go back someday. On our next trip, we want to travel down the entire Pacific Coast. Hope you have a great vacation!

maybebaby Guest

Highly recommend Manuel Antonio. It was gorgeous.

We stayed at Costa Verde which we loved. Their slogan is "still more monkeys than people."

http://www.costaverde.com/

I would LOVE to go back.

We too used a travel agent who set up a private driver from the airport to Manuel Antonio and then we took "Interbus" in between places--about $20-$25 per person to go to a different city.

We went to CR in December and loved it! We went to Arenal, Monteverde, and Manual Antonio. As for transportation - we took "shuttles" (vans, where we were usually the only passengers) between each destination; I would not recommend driving since the roads are hard to manuever and not well-marked at all! Email your hotels and ask them to provide some information on transportation - they usually have drivers they work.

Hotels - in Arenal we stayed at the Lost Iguana. Didn't care for it - poor service and way too far from town (although the rooms were nice enough and it did have nice volcano views). Monteverde - we stayed at El Establo in a junior suite that had amazing sunset views. Manuel Antonio - we stayed at La Mansion, which was on the pricey side, but it felt like a cozy cross between a B&B and a resort. Have fun!

Thanks everyone. I finally had a chance to talk to one of my good friends who went there last year and she raved about her travel agent and how easy it was with the whole trip planned for her...so I think we are going that route.

She also said her favorite place to stay was Costa Verde!

Default Travel agents??

We're planning a CR trip for August. Did you use a travel agent to book flights and hotels or did you just do it online? If you used an agent, do you feel like you got better rates this way? Or was it just b/c you wanted an agent to deal with it?

TIA
    Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts!

We just got back and had a phenomenal time. We stayed in Playa Grande and Arenal (Observatory Lodge @ Arenal) and then one night at Arenal Paraiso Springs (I think that was what it was called). A great restaurant is 'horno de lena' in Playa Grande - wonderful wood-fired oven.

We loved them all, but a word of caution about the observatory lodge. We paid for a Smithsonian room, which should have had a nice view of hte volcano. While we =could= see the volcano, it was not the real Smithsonian room. So if you want a Smithsonian room, ask for room 17 and above. And the food there isn't all that spectacular (although breakfast is gooood).

We planned it all ourselves, and didn't use travel agents, but I'm sure one would have been fine.
    Haiku is easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

This may be a silly question, but did any of you worry about vacinations?

I was with my SIL this weekend and she was talking about all the vacinations she got before going to Costa Rica a few years ago. But I'm thinking it was more because she was there for 6 months vs our little 10 day trip. I checked the CDC website but I don't think I have anything to worry about based on the info there.

And, this may be another silly question, but would you go to Costa Rica if you were in the early months of PG? We're starting TTC this summer but I'm not really planning to put my life on hold while we wait for things to happen or not. SO I could be up to 4 months along...or not at all. I figured I would just do different activities and even different resorts but that the trip would still be great.