Quantcast
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I just don't know if it will be worth trouble after purchasing all the lumber, etc and am also worried about the safety aspect of it. I can also see FIL and dh screwing around the whole time and taking the entire summer to build it.
    Kanga - this is one of the main reasons we are going with Rainbow - my father is very handy and if he put his mind to it, could build a playset. However I want it before my kids turn 18 I'd also want the warranty that comes with purchasing a name brand set.

We also need whatever set we buy to be assembled for us - we are not handy and I hear from those who've done it that playsets are a b!tch to put together.
    "You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love." Julia Child

DH and I built ours (and when I was pg, too!) from a Timberland (I think) kit, and I will say this: we are handy. We have tools. And we absolutely agree that even though you could design it yourself, it was well worth the cost of the kit considering it includes all the heavy-duty hardware, swings and a good starting point with the plans. Use the plans; they are easy to adapt if you want to change something, but it also saved us $ in lumber costs because they have all the cuts so well-planned out.

We built the biggest configuration, cut down the width (reduced by 1 swing), and ended up spending about $600-700 all in, kit and lumber + extra pieces (slide, rockwall, extra swing, baby swing.) It took us 2 weekends working part time, and needed neighborhood guys to help us move the main structure into place and get the roof on. Both jobs took about 5 minutes.

If you can find a great deal on a name brand, go for it, but don't be afraid to undertake building one yourself, especially if you have some additional brawn & help. We still think the overall cost was a deal.
    Your life is an occasion.... rise to it. --Mr. Magorium

We looked at Rainbow and decided we didn't want to spend that much. We ended up going with a kit from Home Depot. It was $600 but we had a 10% coupon. My dad assembled it himself in 4 days. I love the way it turned out and the only thing we changed was not putting on the teeter-tooter swing and putting a baby swing on instead.
    Do you ever smell a fart and end up blaming the wrong guy? - Gil Grissom

We took today to design and price our son's playset. I do agree with everyone here, by the time you price the kits without lumber and compare to those with lumber, you are spending about the same. HOWEVER, for us, we are going with our own design and still spending the same amount. We wanted a 6x6 deck and couldn't find that in any of the ready-to-build kits. We didn't want to 'modify' them. So we are using them as the example and just buying all our supplies. We also want it planted in the ground, not just sitting above ground. Our yard isn't too unlevel, but enough that we want to be able to dig holes and deal with it that way rather than level it (we're talking 5 inch difference which would be noticble in the kits that sit on teh ground, but won't be if we dig holes and cement it in). DH and my brother will break ground tomorrow!

ETA: Did you all put mulch down after you put in your play sets? How far around the play area and how thick?
    Last edited by lady1297; 04-28-2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: another question
    My three sons :DS age 7 and DS age 4, DS age 2

solongtogo, how difficult was it to put that set together? How does your DD do with the climbing? DH wants to buy a smaller plastic set for Luke because he's worried about him falling. It seems to me that it would be a waste to buy a smaller set only to buy a bigger wooden set down the road.

I see that those of you who posted pictures of your sets don't have mulch down under the set-how is it working out without the mulch (as far as falls and what not)?

We are thinking about getting this one from Wal-Mart...we just cant afford $1k for a swing set and this one is sturdy and made from great wood.

$398

We got a rainbow - it is being delivered next Monday - we got the economy model (I think it is the Carnival package II) and they are delivering it next Monday - the big selling point for us is that they will just come and set it up - DH is horrible with starting a project and never finishing it so not dealing with having to nag him was worth spending the extra money.
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

ETA: Did you all put mulch down after you put in your play sets? How far around the play area and how thick?
    we don't have a swing set yet, but I thought I'd chime in with the recommended impact material (for child care centers). To stay within acceptable range, impact material should be 6" deep and at least a 6' radius around the toy.
    Only thing better than having a boy, is having two!
    Jack Ryan 1.12.06
    Tate Daniel 6.23.11

We are thinking of getting this playset from Rainbow - it's one of their basic sets. Then Someone mentioned sets by Child Life. Has anyone heard of them?
    Growing up, my sister and I had a Child Life swing set. I'm about to turn 29 and it's still standing in my parents' back yard and gets used by my little cousins. So as far as durability goes, they're very good.

I'm sure the model we had is no longer available, so I won't comment on that
    Betsy and Dave, married 10/18/03
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

Sophia Guest

How old were your kids when you got a wood swing set? I'm thinking of getting one for DD in spring or summer. She's currently 17mo.