Quantcast
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Advice on wooden swing sets

DH and I have decided to get DS a wooden swing set for Christmas (we live in AZ so DS can use it year-round). I have done some preliminary research, but am in shock as to how expensive these things are ! We are Costco members and can get a Rainbow "Sunray" set for $1500. That's the cheapest set they offer. There are others being sold on Ebay, including the manufacturers "Cedarsafe" and "Creative Playthings" for substantially less money. Has anyone purchased one of these that can recommend a brand and/or a particular model? Any help I can get would be great! TIA!

i did just a tiny bit of research on these. i know that the 'rainbow' brand was highly recommended and the one that costco carries is a pretty good deal, it was too big for us though. if you want to find one cheaper and don't mind it being used, try craigslist. i got a rainbow set that was 3 yrs old and was originally $2500. for $400. i see a few of them listed per month in my city.

Default Let's talk wooden swingsets!

Where'd it come from? What does it have (swings, rope ladder, fort, slide)? and what gets played with? How long do you think/want it to last?

We are just starting to look, but our darn yard is soooo small! It is recommended that you have 6 ft in all directions around your play set.

I know that Sam's and Costco usually have sets that are the "off" brand made by the two custom manufacturers. Costco carries the Sunray made by Rainbow, and Sam's has the Playaround made by Cedarworks.

My kid is really into climbing, but not so into swinging. I'm thinking about getting something with just 1 swing (instead of the standard 2 or 3) to save space. But I worry that he will really get into swinging later.

Decisions, decisions!
    Mom to 3 boys
    9/05, and twins 1/09

We have a set that looks like this one from Rainbow:

We love it. It was spendy, but we were able to customize it (ours has the ramp and slide on the same side, and we have panels on the bottom to partially enclose it). The Rainbow folks also came out and put the whole thing together for us...no mean feat!

DD was 2.5 when we got it, and she loves her "park" She has spent countless hours out there playing on it and is dying for the day her baby sister is big enough to join her.

One thing, though. We have a huge yard and didn't have to worry about a perimeter around the play set. If you have a smaller yard, I would definitely recommend a smaller set or customizing the set so you have fewer swings.

Finally, I'm glad we went with Rainbow. Their quality is excellent, and I am a huge fan of having it delivered and assembled for us. It took 2 of their guys an entire day. Could you just imagine how long it would have taken us (especially considering I was pg at the time)?
    wife 08.10.02
    mother 11.01.03 and 09.01.06

They are a lot of money, but they will last a LONG time and through multiple children. Plus, you could resell in the future when your children are finished with it.

We got ours last summer from BJ's. It is made by Adventure Playsets. It's the perfect size - not too big, not too small. It has a rock wall, slide, ladder, picnic table and sandbox and 3 swings and monkey bars. We looked at Rainbox, but everything was too much and too big. Ours was $899.
    www.adventureplaysets.com
    Rosalyn 6/3/99 * Skylar 2/21/05 * Jace 1/26/06

We are thinking of getting this playset from Rainbow - it's one of their basic sets. Then Someone mentioned sets by Child Life. Has anyone heard of them?
    "You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love." Julia Child

My advice to you is to watch for sales...we just bought this one from toys r us for 400

Mommy August 25, 2005
    and again... March 21, 2008

Has anyone ever built their own (not from a kit)?

Was the hassle worth the $ saved?

How long start to finish did it take?

Approx how much did you save by doing it yourself? (obviously a personal ? so don't answer if you don't feel comfortable)

Apparently FIL built dh's siblings a swingset (dh was too old for it at that time) and says he would help dh build one for our kids. I just don't know if it will be worth trouble after purchasing all the lumber, etc and am also worried about the safety aspect of it. I can also see FIL and dh screwing around the whole time and taking the entire summer to build it.
    DD8 DD7 DS2.5 DD 10.26.13

Kanga, I've searched and I've found that the kit without lumber is one thing, but by the time you add the price for lumber you are basically paying for a kit that includes it. I have not seen any kits without lumber in any stores here that don't cost over 1000 by the time you add the lumber in.
    Mommy August 25, 2005
    and again... March 21, 2008