Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have a "talkative" newborn?

Our DD is 2 weeks old and is VERY talkative. When I say talkative I mean she grunts and makes strange noises for hours on end - including when she is sleeping. While our DD is the apple of our eyes and she sleeps really well (for 6 hours at a stretch at night), we are not sleeping well because she is so loud. No one I know has this problem with their children.

Our ped is not concerned and says she does not think it is gas or anything else that is harmful, particularly because she can sleep through it.

Have you experienced this? Did your child out grow it? Or did they turn in to a talker?

Thanks for the input.

Yes, our DD was like this. It used to keep me awake too.

She went from a very noisy newborn to a very babbly baby to, now, the biggest chatterbox of a toddler you could ever hope to meet. Dh and I joke that she is going to be one of "those kids" you run into somewhere who just accost you and talk your ears off. But really--it's been fun. Also, I always know where she is in the house...I just follow the sound of her voice!
    Carol and Geoff, 3/16/02......Nora, 1/21/04...Owen, 2/08/08

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Plato

DS was the same way as a newborn. Now at 12 months he is gabbing all the time. I think he likes the sound of his own voice and that's why he used to "talk" to himself when he was first born. It comforted him.

I can't blame the kid though - mommy and daddy talk all the time too!
    Boy - 8/04 : Girl - 6/06 : Girl - 2/08

Yep! DS did this, too. He spent the first 10 days in the NICU and we had him in our room when he first came home. By 1 month old we had him in his own room in his crib because we needed to sleep! Thank goodness he adjusted well.

He's still a noisy sleeper, at almost 8 months, and when we travel we always hope there's a way to have him in another room so we can sleep. Terrible, I know.

DS was definitely a noisy newborn, grunting all of the time! He used to crack us up.

Now he still loooves to "talk" to himself, sing to himself, yell, etc. Anything to hear his own voice!

DD was very "verbal" from day one - we think she'll be like mommy, who often got on her grade school report cards: "A pleasure to have in class, but talks a lot." It's come in waves since then; sometimes, she's more "talkative" than other times. It can be hard sometimes to continually respond. (I try to, but other times I think she just likes the sound of her own voice, as a PP said.) She never really grunted, though, just babbled. Now she's on to VERY high-pitched shrieks. DH and I say she's communicating with the dolphins because she can't communicate with us yet. And we've never had her sleep in the same room with us. When we've traveled and she's in the same room with us, we realize that she's a very loud sleeper (though that has quieted down a bit now, too). She's 7.5 months.
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

Luke is a VERY noisy sleeper. I was just saying to my husband this morning that we may have to move him to his crib sooner than we had planned so that I can get some sleep!

OMG, DS used to grunt constantly in his sleep. For the first 2 weeks, DH and I didn't sleep at all. Finally, we moved his bassinet into his own room next to ours and we started sleeping. I thought maybe all babies were like this until SIL was here when he was sleeping, and she was amazed at all the sounds he made.

DS is no 4.5 mos old and is now a very quiet sleeper. HTH!!!

Bumping this...I was searching for another post of mine and read this...9+ years later! As an update, DD is such a chatterbox now. Talk about it starting early!

LOL kindermom!

DD did the same thing as an infant and is definitely a chatterbox today. One of my favorite moments was when she was a few weeks old she was in the pack 'n play in our room and it had this arch across the top with hanging elephant heads. In the middle of the night she starts babbling to the elephants, and then she started to get louder and more agitated until she was practically yelling at these poor elephants. I got up and took down the arch and she sort of went "humph" and closed her eyes and went back to sleep. DH and I laughed until we cried.