Quantcast
Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Aletheia
    When do you guys go for a run if you run outside? And, how do you time it with meals?
    Most of the spots I run/walk at are coastal (either at the beach, across PCH from the beach, or less than 1.5 miles from the beach), so by 4:30pm there's a nice afternoon offshore breeze and temps aren't usually above 75 in those areas in summer. Usually low 70's.

On weekdays I work from 7:30am-4:30pm and I CANNOT workout early in the morning. Getting up at 5:30/5:45 is as early as I can stand to wake up, so I do my workouts after work. I eat breakfast around 8am, eat lunch at 11:30am, and an afternoon snack (banana, yogurt) around 3pm. I usually get to my workout location by about 4:45pm, do my walk/run/stretch, and am back to the car by about 5:30pm. I'm home by 6pm, shower, and eat dinner around 6:30-7pm.

On weekends (Saturdays usually), I try to be out the door no later than 11am so as not to hit the mid-day heat/sun. It's usually a bit cloudy/foggy in the morning, thus cooler temps.

Maybe it's a silly question. If so, I'm still looking for tips on how to get to be a faster runner!
    Maybe try some fartleks, or speed intervals. Where you run normal for a few minutes, then up your speed for 30 seconds (or as long as you can handle it), then run normal speed for a few minutes, then fast again. I run my intervals by markers, say by lifeguard stations if I'm at the beach, or in from tree A to tree B in other areas, or from this rock to that bridge. It can be from a set time (5 minutes normal, 1 minute fast) or an approx. distance (doesn't have to be exact).

Quote Originally Posted by princess1224
    I'm looking around for good running shoes and the guy at the shoe store recommended asics gels that are made for running. What kind of runnig shoes do you all wear?
    I just bought new running shoes a few weeks ago and got some Asics gel running shoes from Sportmart. They're similar to the kind I used to wear in HS when I ran distance. They're extremely comfortable and I wear Nike running socks (padded in the heel and ball of foot areas) with them. The shoes were about $60 I believe? I don't recall the exact type/model and I don't have my gym bag with me at the moment.

Ooh, found them, thanks to Froogle:

Asics Gel Cumulus VI Cushion Running Shoe Womens
    "The Asics® Gel Cumulus® VI is designed for women who underpronate or have a natural footstrike. Featuring forefoot and rearfoot GEL® Cushioning System which provides maximum forefoot and rearfoot shock attenuation in all planes of motion. SpEVA® 45 Last increases rearfoot cushioning through enhanced midsole deformation and the Trusstic System® links the rearfoot and forefoot and shores the midfoot."

Last edited by Rancid13; 07-06-2005 at 10:43 AM.

I think the most important thing about running shoes is going to a store with sales people who are trained to watch you run in a potential pair of shoes and say whether or not they are right for your gait. No two people run quite the same way- ankles turn in or out, toes too, arches are of varying height. And a big variable for women: hip (pelvis) width. Without the right shoes to make sure your legs are correctly in line with every step, you can end up with seriously sore knee ligaments or IT bands (the big muscle that runs up the side of your thighs.) I'm pretty picky about this since I ended up in physical therapy for 2 months due to running in crappy shoes two years ago.

Default Count me in.....

Hey All,
    I'm so glad there's a running thread on here. It's so much easier to run when you feel like you are "one of the team" and not just by yourself. This morning I went to the track with FH but only ran about 1.12 miles because I needed the bathroom the entire time. I hate when that happens. Better luck tomorrow.

Usually we run at the track on weekends and we go to separate gyms on weekdays (He has one at work, I go to NYSC.) We are also both doing WW and need to lose about 15-20 pounds each. We're getting married in January so that's a priority.

We recently did our first 5K together. I made it through abut 2.2 miles, while he finished the whole thing. We're already planning to do another one In August or September.
    SJ 8/30/07
    JM 4/26/10

Just subscribing. I am not a *runner* yet...Ido intervals of running and walking bc of my asthma. But I am working on buidling to being able to run. I just bought a pair of Gel asics...but a different pair than those posted above. I will have to look and which style mine are.

Default Today's Run....

Today we went to the track. I ran about 1.52 miles in about 18 minutes. It was a good run. Would have liked it to be just a little cooler but no real complaints. Tomorrow I'm back to the gym, and I can usually go a bit further on the treadmill. Anyone else run today?
    SJ 8/30/07
    JM 4/26/10

I run! In college I ran a LOT, just for fun, with a friend. I ran many roadraces and a half-marathon. After college/wedding, I fell out of it (nowhere to run in new area). I had a baby last summer, and really started to get back into it in the early spring. Pushing a jogging stroller has been interesting! I run about 20 miles a week. I'm a slow runner, and recently broke a 10 min. mile with the stroller! I'm really excited about that.

I'm running a 5K on the 23rd, we'll see how that goes. I may end up running by myself (no stroller), so I may actually be able to race.

filmgirl I'm doing WW too--it's nice to see those activity points add up!
    Adam & Karen 6.29.02
    Colin 6.25.04 Neila 9.22.06

Thank you all for the help with running shoes. I went to the Sport Mart and the guy there recommended the asics gels, I tried on two pair and one was definitely more comfortable than the other.
    I think the most important thing about running shoes is going to a store with sales people who are trained to watch you run in a potential pair of shoes and say whether or not they are right for your gait. No two people run quite the same way- ankles turn in or out, toes too, arches are of varying height. And a big variable for women: hip (pelvis) width. Without the right shoes to make sure your legs are correctly in line with every step, you can end up with seriously sore knee ligaments or IT bands (the big muscle that runs up the side of your thighs.) I'm pretty picky about this since I ended up in physical therapy for 2 months due to running in crappy shoes two years ago.
    I never even thought about that. I always thought I had normal arches and pronation and it never occured to me that anything else really mattered. I should look into the running stores around here and see if any do that.

Default About the big M....

I'm beginning to think about running at least a half marathon at some point and have no idea of where to start! Is there a good website that helps you with the training program and tips?

Who here has done at least a half marathon? How long in advance did you train to be able to do it?

Any tips for someone just starting out?

I am not a runner nor have EVER been, but I want to start. I have been working out consistently at the gym for the last year and a half or so, doing mostly weights, but a little cardio (15-20 mins of elip. and sometimes adding 15 mins of walking/jogging on a treadmill). So my bod's in decent to good shape, but like I said, I've never run before, so I don't really know how to start...

any hints/tips/advice?

also, do you all run with music? I'm kind of a music lover when I'm working out, but don't know if that's recommended for when you're outside (traffic etc)