Quantcast
Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Thread?

Hello all!

I guess I'm a runner. But even though I've run for years (no, not continuously, tee hee) I've never really gotten much faster. The only thing that seems to improve is my endurance/distance. But I do enjoy it, especially on the "good" days (i.e., perfect weather, well-rested and conditioned body.) What suggestions do you run-aholics have for getting faster, too? DH, who hardly ever runs, can *always* outrun me when we go together and it drives me bonkers.

I already feel more motivated than usu. by hearing people say how much they love it and how it can become addicting! I do it because otherwise I'd be a lazy slug- I'd like to do it becomes I'm "addicted" to it. So maybe joining the group is a good idea! As a matter of fact, I may go run right now.

Well, I have to say that joining this thread has already helped me to become more motivated.

The last time I went running I ran straight for almost as long as I was running before the injury, so that was great! Although unfortunately, my bubble was broken by a gym member/instructor who told me that running was bad for women...??? She said that she was told this due to her being diagnosed with arthris. She also has suffered a much worse back injury, so I should not compare myself to her.

Why do people always have to tell people like us motivated and enjoying what we do something depressing like that.

Married :: 6.14.03 * Mommy :: 6.25.06 * Mommy2 :: 9.4.08 * Mommyhood

I just started running about 2 1/2 months ago and I'm getting pretty into it. I'm up to 2 miles in about 19 min. which I think is pretty good considering the fact that I couldn't even run a mile when I started. My husband was a huge runner in high school and college and tried to get me into it a couple of years ago on a treadmill, but I just couldn't do it. Now that I'm running outdoors, it's gone a lot better for some reason. It sucks that it's getting so hot though...

i run, too, but not because i love it. i do it for the exercise and to stay in shape. i've tried doing other cardio stuff, but running is the only thing that has worked for me as far as losing weight. i actually completed a marathon a couple of years ago (los angeles marathon). it was such a great experience that i tell everyone to train for one! but then i remember how hard the training is and why i haven't run one since!

When do you guys go for a run if you run outside? And, how do you time it with meals?

I like to run at 11 a.m.-- enough after breakfast that I don't feel sick and just before lunch. But now it's too hot by 11.

Maybe it's a silly question. If so, I'm still looking for tips on how to get to be a faster runner!

I normally run after work or in the evenings, that is when I have the most energy and it is cooler in temperatures. Also I can't run right after I have eaten either... It makes me sick. I like running on an empty or almost empty stomach.

I agree with icedwhite, running is the only thing that I have found to work as far as weight loss goes, if I get to the gym regularly that is.

betsyboop, glad to hear that I'm not the only one who only runs about two miles at one time. Although I try and run three to four times a week so about 6-8 miles a week, I guess that isn't too bad.

I'll never be a marathoner though... Not sure that I could with my asthma.

I just ran my first marathon last month (San Diego Rock & Roll Marathon). It was a great experience. I ran verrrry slowly but had a really strong finish, so I was pretty thrilled. I was so happy for days afterwards. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

Now I'm 26 days post-race and I've been taking it pretty easy, just doing some 3 milers here and there. I have terrible blisters that are still healing, and I have some annoying hip pain too. I need to get back on a good schedule. My goal is to run some 10ks and trail races over the next year and work on my speed. Then maybe I'll think about doing another marathon.

I'm glad there are so many runners here! I'm looking forward to the mutual support & motivation.

Carrie

I'm new to running. I started running on the trail near my house with my dog when I was trying to get in shape for my wedding, I got addicted right away. I don't know how far or how fast I ran, my goal was just to puch myself a little harder than the time before. I was doing it about 3 times a week for a little over a month and then the wedding was too close and I had no time for anything. Now that the wedding is over I can't wait to start running again.

I run on the trail because it's softer for my feet and I bring the dog because I feel safer on the trail with him. But he wants to stop and smell everything and my feet hurt when I tried to run on the sidewalk. I would like to be able to run on the sidewalk because my dog is a pain in the arse. I don't have a treadmill and I don't go to the gym. I lift weights and do my all my exercise at home, except for running.

I'm looking around for good running shoes and the guy at the shoe store recommended asics gels that are made for running. What kind of runnig shoes do you all wear?

Julianne,

I normally wear Asics gels but this time I decided to try New Balance, although I'm happy with my New Balance pair (they are comfortable, although it feels like less cushion than my Asics) I think that I still like my Asics better though.

I'll join up!

I was on the cross country and track (distance) teams in HS and have recently gotten back into running outdoors and it's getting easier every week, practically easier every day it seems. In working out at the gym prior to stepping outdoors regularly, I would run maybe 10-15 mins on the treadmill, but that's not as tough as running for 10-15 mins outdoors. I used to combine that with some recumbant bike, swimming, and elliptical machine for cardio.

I've been doing a combo of running/walking for the last month now, about 3-4 days a week. My total mileage each time is about 3 miles, and I'm now walking only about 15 minutes and running (more like jogging!) the other 30. I was walking the whole distance originally, and it was taking me an hour so I figured if I went faster, I could get home that much quicker.

I try to mix up my runs, one day I'll go to the beach, another day I'll hit up a rivertrail, another day I'll visit the ecological preserve trails, and yet another I'll visit the wetlands. Otherwise I'd get bored and I'm constantly trying to do better each time I head out. I'm really starting to like running again, especially being outside now in the great SoCal summer weather.