Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Has Anyone Ever Quit Their Job Without Another Job Lined Up?

I have been thinking about leaving my job for a long time now, but do not have another job lined up. I'm thinking about just taking a break from working for awhile and was wondering if anyone else has done that. Were there any regrets? Was it a good decision? I've been at my job for a long time and have been seriously unhappy for about a year. I am a loyal and dedicated worker, but I'm thinking that it is better to get out of an unhealty environment. I don't want the stress of starting a new job right away either. DH is very supportive but I am terrified. I haven't been unemployed since I was a teenager and usually am not a risk taker. I don't want to go into the details of why I'm so unhappy, but let's just say it has brought me to tears on many occasions.

I've heard that its harder to find a job when you don't have one, so you may just want to look for a new job now and then ask for an extended start date. I guess it depends on how much time you want off. If you just want a few weeks, it might work, but if you are looking for a few months off that could be a different story. You could always try to come up with a good reason for taking the break - I can't think of one right now, but I'm sure someone else can help with that.
    DS: 11-20-2006
    Boy/Girl Twins: 4-3-2011
    DD 4/3/2013

There are two schools of thought here. You can search while you're working, but with the safety net, will you really look that hard? The other, of course, is if you don't find a job, you may be screwed. Also, any lapse in employment would need to be explained.

I've quit a job without having another one, but I was extremely confident that I had enough contacts to find another job (I had worked there a day only).

My husband has looked with a job and without a job. It seemed like people were beating down the door when he looked while having another job.
    May those who love us love us. And for those who don't, may God turn their hearts. And if not, may God turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

My brother just did this. His reasoning was that he has enough cash to pay a couple months' worth of bills, he's getting totally burnt out in his current job (they've been giving him a really hard time about taking vacation, even though he works weekends to make up for it). Plus he says it's probably the last time in his life he'll have the flexibility to do it.

I think if you can afford it, go for it. I wouldn't worry too much about the break looking bad on your resume - you can always say something vague like "I had family issues to deal with that have since been resolved," which is more or less true.
    Find Me on LJ
    "The safe is the enemy of the satisfying" - Anna Quindlen

I looked for a job when I was employed, and when I wasn't (due to a layoff). It took me ten months to find the job while I was working, and three weeks to find a new job after my layoff. I just didn't have the time while working to job hunt, and I had no way to be in contact with people. I also worried constantly about the current job getting suspicious and taking days off to interview was incredibly stressful, I was sure they would find out. When I was unemployed I found the stress of job hunting to be much easier to bear.
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

I did! I actually turned in my two-weeks' notice and was told that I could leave whenever I wanted. So, I packed up my desk and was gone by lunch. I had a job four days later, which was nice because they needed someone right away. I did take looking for another job very seriously, and spent six hours a day each of the three days that I was unemployed looking, faxing, calling and interviewing. I didn't take a "vacation"... which I should have done. That was seven years ago.

I did it. I left my job in SoCal to move to Colorado and I didn't exactly have a job 100% lined up. Luckily I was able to temp but that didn't last long as I was let go after 9/11.

It is a big risk and I wouldn't do it again unless I could afford to.
    I've got nuthin'

Thanks for the replies everyone! It is helpful to hear the different experiences. One thing that has become a major factor for me is that DH and I are TTC. My original plan was to stick out this job for as long as possible to get the benefits, which are pretty good. I've been so unhappy and stressed out lately, that I'm getting concerned that it's affecting my body too. I'm going to try to stick it out for as long as I can. Sigh....

I've been in your shoes & it sucks! You have my sympathy! At my last job, I had 2 bosses. One was a total jerk & the other one had no backbone. Combine that with some trouble-making co-workers & it was a recipe for 2 years of he11!

Since this was an on-going thing, I had been looking at other positions & had other irons in the fire. After 2 months of particularly heinous & unprofessional behavior, I finally put in my 2 week notice & just recently left 2 weeks ago. DH & I talked about my work situation a lot & he was very supportive. (He actually thought I should've walked out last March ) However, it was scary. It was my 1st job out of college & I'd never had to "quit" anything before! On the upside, my entire group stopped speaking to me in a mature junior high fashion when I handed in my 2 weeks. Made my last few days the best in several years!

I do not regret it at all, because my one boss was definitely verbally & emotionally abusive. It was changing my personality & I liked who I was before all that! However, I don't think I would've been OK quitting if I didn't have other prospects & a pretty good savings. If you & your DH don't "need" your income & you're comfortable taking a breather (aka being unemployed ), I say go for it!

In the end, it has worked out better than I ever could've imagined! The 1st week I was home, I was offered adjunct teaching position at the university in our city. It's a serious salary cut, but I can work on my phd for free which is worth a lot & will probably mean more money in the long run! In addition, I'm going to be working on getting some research funded that I'm super excited about!

I don't start for another month, so I still have moments where not bringing home a paycheck really bothers me. I keep reminding myself that for the meantime, I'm contributing to the household in other ways...cleaning, organizing, painting, yardwork, ect. (Yes, I am a total workaholic & busybody ) It's taken a lot of stress of both DH & I. We've been able to enjoy the last couple weekends instead of catching up on house stuff.

Hope all this helps! Let us know what you decide.

I forget is TTC tracking for a child or are you already PG?

I think if you took a year off for a child an employer would understand that. As far as trying to get a job while employed or not really depends on how motivated you are. Some can find a job the same day they start looking and get 3-4 offers, others will go 6 months w/o finding work, due to applying high standards or lack of interest.

I know my uncle's girlfriend quit her job, w/ a mortgage and 2 kids in school about a month ago. She hasn't found anything yet but it is probably due to call centers being slow in the summer and I don't know how hard she has been looking.

I had a job I hated and saved up to quit. I was just too fed up w/ my company to stay so I saved enough to take a month off. It was nice to relax and I found another job a month later.
    MY PERFECT BABY BOY IS HERE!!!
    So Little Time But So Worth It!