Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reading to a 1 year old...

DS loves books, loves to play with them, flip the pages, point at his Jay Jay counting book, but he doesn't sit still long enough for me to read more than one page. He'll wander off, sometimes come back, etc. Is this normal? I really want him to be a reader like me, not a bookaphob like his dad. But he won't sit still. How can I integrate books more into his life? Or is that what he's already doing? How did you integrate it into your night routines? He just won't sit still that long.

BTW: the books are all on a shelf at his level, even non board books that he won''t hav the attention span for for another few years (like weekly reader books). He readily goes over and pulls them out and flips, but I can't read them to him.

Good question! Granted my DD is only 8 months, but my mom is a teacher and she told me it is good to read books whether you have their 100% attention or not. Just getting out the books and starting them is great. She also says it is good for them just to hear the cadence in your voice as you read, so keep on reading after he wanders away. No matter what, she says, keep trying it. Don't force them to sit or else reading will not be a fun time. Just get through as much as you can! HTH!
    Ashley & Doug 6/28/03
    Danielle Judith 12/15/04 David Landen 8/3/06 Andrew Douglas 3/6/09

Thanks!! That's mostly what I thought, but I am so worried. I want him to be a good reader, I know how it helped me through school.

My cousin made it part of the bedtime ritual. They take their bath and snuggle into their gigantic Patrick the Pup (which I now have one of!) and read two or three stories, listen to a train tape and get tucked in. She uses fun voices to keep her sons intrigued and snuggles with them...makes it kind of like a game and special "mommy time." She started this with her oldest when he was an infant so that he'd know the routine and would enjoy it.

I read while DS pulls other books off the bookshelf.

Sometimes he will sit in my lap and turn pages, more so at night. Sometimes to have a more interactive reading experience, I will just point out things on the page rather than reading so that when he turns a page every 2 seconds, I can keep up.

I tried to use fun voices like lml suggestions. I have now realized that I have only 2 voices (high and low). It is so sad. All my characters sound the same.

It sounds like we are in exactly the same situation!

Quote Originally Posted by SiValleySteph
    I tried to use fun voices like lml suggestions. I have now realized that I have only 2 voices (high and low). It is so sad. All my characters sound the same.
    hehe I wouldn't worry about that. We only have 2 voices, too. Right now they belong to our dogs, so when the baby gets here, she's going to be very confused as to why all the characters sound like Maggie and Gretchen.

lady - Anna does the same thing. I generally only read to her before naptime and bedtime, because she snuggles in to me and (usually) lets me read. Sometimes she likes to help by turning the pages. At night, I snuggle her while Daddy reads. We've been doing this since she was teeny-tiny and could only lay on her changing table while we read. Ah, I kind of miss those days sometimes!

Oh, never thought of snuggling while DH reads!! That would be fun!!

I couldn't get my DD to look at a book until she was 10 months old, then she started brining them to me to read to her. I think the key is don't start with books that have a paragraph or really even more than a couple sentences to read on each page because they simply don't have the patience. We started out with lift-a-flap books and books with few words and just pointed to the animals in the books and went over the animal sounds or pointing out colors or simple objects(ball, tree, bike, etc), it defintly kept her more interested. Now that she's 22 months she has a longer attention span so we can read longer stories and she'll sit through them(most of the time ).

It is! It's great. Anna sometimes pays attention to Daddy while he reads. Sometimes, though, it's thumbsucking and hair-twirling.