Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ski in/out place in CO or there about for spring?

I've never been skiing, but my husband loves to ski and so does my best friend. We are thinking of getting together a small group to go this spring.

Our baby will be about 6 mo, so I imagine I'll do lots of haning out and drinking hot chocolate (which is just fine). So we need a lodge type place that is nice enough to accomodate me while everyone else is out and about.

Any suggestions of where to go?

Well, I don't ski or snowboard but my ex-husband did and he really enjoyed Vail and Whistler. I've been to both places and they're gorgeous!

~H.

I love Whistler ! It has a great village, which is nice if you're on your own during the day. It's a bit of a long trip to get to, though, as it's a couple hours by car from Vancouver.

In Colorado, I've only been to Copper River , and enjoyed it a lot. However, it also has about a two hour drive (from the Denver airport). I don't remember much about the village (we were there in early December though, so things were probably not hopping yet). I do remember the fabulous crab rangoon from a little chinese restaurant! MMM. Most (all?) of the Colorado resorts are 2 hours or more from the airport.

If you're going with experienced skiers, you might consider Jackson Hole (it doesn't have a lot of green slopes). I've been once, and it was fabulous. The town is easy to get into, and you'd probably have a lot of fun there during the day.

As a (new-ish) Salt Lake resident, let me humbly suggest Park City or the resorts in the Cottonwood Canyons (other side of the mountain from PC). They are all super easy to get to from the airport, and we think our snow is far superior to Colorado's -- unless you arrived during "bad" weather (which is usually good ski weather!), it shouldn't take longer than 45 minutes from the airport to get to either Park City or up either of the canyons. And yes, you can buy & drink beer here.

I've never actually skiied in PC (the snow is better on this side, fewer tourists), but the town is great. You'd definitely enjoy yourself during the day there. There are three resorts: Park City, Deer Valley (no snowboards), and The Canyons.

In Little Cottonwood, you'd probably want to stay at Snowbird (legendary Alta -- no snowboards -- is just another 10 minutes up the road; minimal lodging there). That's the main tourist destination in the canyons. (It's my personal least favorite, I haven't been since I moved here -- it's big, busy, and gets "skied out" fast on new snow days -- it's also the priciest.)

In Big Cottonwood, Solitude is the place to go (Brighton is at the end of the road but doesn't have lodging). It's owned by Intrawest (who own Whistler/Blackcomb), and they've built a really nice village. Not nearly as huge as the Whistler/Bl. village, but you'd have shops to wander into, etc. I looove Solitude -- it's not well known (shhh!), and it has a great layout.

I know that's a lot of info -- if you are interested in more details about any of these places just shout!

Thanks! That definitely gives us a starting place. I'm sure I'll be seeking more advice soon.

In Colorado, I recommend Steamboat Springs, Aspen, and Vail. I think Steamboat Springs has some of the best skiing in the state, and the town itself is great. (I lived in Denver for a long while, and in Steamboat for a year.)

When you choose a place, one thing to consider is whether the town is built around the ski resort, or whether the ski resort was built just outside of an already-established town. For example, both Aspen and Steamboat Springs were already established towns. The ski mountains are just outside of the city limits. If you want a ski in/ski out place in Aspen or Steamboat, you will not be within walking distance of the town proper. There are some shops and restaurants at the resorts, but there won't be much in the way of entertainment (or even long sidewalks!) if you are on foot and are looking to go for a walk, windowshop, etc. with the baby in tow.

Vail, on the other hand, is a town built around the ski resort. So, if you rent a ski in/ski out place there, you will be able to walk everywhere in town from your room.

Also, if you are planning on flying into Denver and then driving into the mountains, places like Keystone, Breckenridge, and Vail are easier to get to than Steamboat Springs or Aspen. The former are all off Interstate 70, which is usually clear except during the worst storms. Driving to Aspen and Steamboat Springs in bad weather can be trickier.

If you are planning in going in March, get ready for the college kids. Ski resorts are a popular spring break destination. I would choose more expensive accomodations in order to minimize the partying-noise factor on the theory that most college kids will be in the less expensive places.

HTH.

Hi - I'm from CO and have skied most of the areas - a couple that are large resorts, and therefore would have some larger areas to hang out/shop/do other things with the baby are Breckinridge and Winter Park. Both of those ski areas offer the benefit of having a wide range of trails from beginner to expert. Breck. is located just off I70; Winter Park is closer to the front range and is accessed by a highway connecting to I70. Breck does get a bad name, sometimes, because it is so big - but in your case, I think it might be an asset - and there are well-marked maps and lots of variety for you and everyone else concerned.

I have only really been skiing once - at Steamboat Springs in CO. It was great! I don't have much to compare it too, but it was really nice. A good town and fun skiing for all levels. Lots of places you can rent and "ski in/ski out," too. We were in one of their apartment complexes with something fruity in the name, which had lockers on the ground floor for skis, and was less than a minute's walk from the slopes. (Maybe you could have literally "skied in" but I was no good at propelling myself on flat ground in skis.)
    B. & C. ... Met 2000 ... Engaged 2005 ... Married 2010 ????
    *** Pumpkin baby born Halloween 2006 *** It's a boy!***

I recommend Keystone, CO. They have a lot of condos that are ski-in/ski-out and it is cheaper than Vail or Beaver Creek!

I've never skiied in CO, however, I would highly suggest somewhere on the side of a mountain where you can ski in/ ski out. It is one of the best things you could do. Whenever we ski we always do that. It is sooo much better than driving to the ski resort - finding parking - waiting in lines. We usually stay in a chalet on the slower side of the mountain where there is a chair life very close. We would wake up and ski down to the chair life to the top of the mountain. Then we'd ski back for lunch and go back out....it was sooo nice. It also was a plus being able to cook in the place b/c after a long day of skiing I never feel like getting dressed up to go out to dinner.
    Courtney ~~LJ~~
    Don't ask the locals for directions, they already lost one colony!

Default Breckenridge

Last winter we went to Breckenridge for a week and stayed at the Hyatt Main Street Station. It is right in the middle of downtown, so there are lots of shops to enjoy, an ice skating rink right there, restaurants and easy access to one of the lifts. It'd be perfect with a little one. There is also a Mariott adjacent to the Hyatt that is just as convenient. Breck is also close to other nearby towns, so it's an easy drive to outlets and other cute villages.

I also skied Copper Mtn, recommended by an earlier poster. It's nice, but much smaller. Not as much to do.