Quantcast

Default Do your kids volunteer?

I've seen some unbecoming behaviors in my pre-k and early elementary aged kids. Specifically some selfish attitudes and entitlement. I know part of this comes with their current ages, but as a parent I'm having worries that this will become a problem if I don't help broaden their world a little bit. I would love to hear experiences of how volunteering impacted your kids and what types of volunteering resonated. I'm currently looking into packaging parties at the local food back, where large bins of food are getting repackaged into family serving sizes. I think it could bring up some great opportunities for conversation. Just thought I would see if anyone is around and has any insight to share. Other than giving away our things to folks that need them, I have not really gotten them involved in a meaningful way. Oh man the working Mom guilt never ends.

Default Do your kids volunteer?

I hear you on the entitlement and everything is about me attitude. We volunteer regularly about once a month and it has taught them that there are people that are much less fortunate than us. While that is good and all, my son only likes doing the activities that he enjoys and is not willing to branch out and try something new. We have a local organization that partners with other non profits and sets up a volunteering calendar where you can go and sign up for volunteer events. There's a specific activity my son really likes but it's so popular we rarely can sign up for that. Dd seems more flexible in trying new activities and she really likes the ones that involve arts and crafts.

Thanks for your insight Annette. I think there is an organization here that sets up a volunteer calendar. I've never looked for family friendly opportunities. We have a few volunteering programs that my DH and I are involved with, but they are not currently appropriate for kids. Helping in the community growing up was typical through church or neighbor-to-neighbor, I need to figure out our path based on our current life. Just trying to figure out how to raise compassionate, caring, contributing kids and some days it seems like a very difficult task.