Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disneyland/Southern CA

We are just in the very very early stages of thinking about summer vacation. With three girls ages 12, 9, and 5, and our promise to go back to Disney to the girls, I'm thinking Disneyland might be the best bet - with side trips to Legoland and LA/Hollywood - to keep everyone's interest.

Is that doable in a week plus? How long would be sufficient for Disneyland (I know it's smaller than Disney World)? DH really enjoyed Disney World because his vacation was not having to drive at all for the week (he drives a lot for work)! Is it possible to take a train to Legoland for just a day? I know we'd have to drive to LA/Hollywood unless we find a bus tour of some sort.

Thanks for any thoughts, tips, suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

Me, the total planner (and because I kind of need to know at work how many vacations I want to take that are longer than a week so I mentally was trying to figure out how long we may want to stay in various places) was trying in my head to plan a CA trip (for 3+ years from now when I turn 50! My BFF from high school lives in CA and works for Disney so I would like to be there when I turn 50 since I am going to WDW earlier that year when he turns 50).

I had us going all the way from San Diego to San Francisco in 11 nights! But we also aren't going to do a ton in LA/Hollywood because I feel like the kids wouldn't have seen a ton of movies yet that would warrant a lot of time

Day 1: Fly to San Diego (late day)
    Day 2-3: Explore San Diego
    Day 4: Drive to Anaheim, visit Legoland
    Day 5-6: 2 days at Disneyland (2 parks, 2 days I figure). But I was actually going to then not spend a 3rd night in Anaheim, but then drive to Santa Monica area so the next day we could ....
    Day 7: See LA/Hollwood sites (Hollywood Blvs, Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica pier) then later in the day start driving north and spend the night
    Day 8: Continue driving up the coast to the Carmel area
    Day 9: Monterray Acquarium, drive to San Francisco
    Day 10-11: San Francisco
    Day 12: Fly home

I know this seems very LA/Hollywood lite - some of it is because I've done the Hollywood tour, but I thought it was neat because I was 22 and I knew the actors whose houses we were driving by and I had seen Pretty Woman so thought it was neat to go by the hotel she lived in. Since we are going Universal next year, we don't need to do Universal there. The only thing that would change would be in my friend who works for Disney, if he can get us a tour of the lot

I know you said DH doesn't want to drive that much, but I don't necessarily think you want/need to be centered in Anaheim. I would do 2 stays - Anaheim and LA
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

This is fantastic, Jesseybell, thanks so much!!! I (and DD1) really wanted to go to San Francisco and I know that DH would love to do so, too. I would also love to take the kids to San Diego but had thought both SF and SD would need to be separate trips since we can't be away too long. I thought I was already being too ambitious without SF but I love this itinerary. I so hope we can make it happen. I am so NOT a planner - my older sister is the trip planner - which is why I want to try to think about it now.

And I hope you can make it happen for your 50th!

Off to process this further and figure out my talking points/arguments for DH!
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12

We were just at Disneyland last Nov and we'll be going to Legoland this summer If you want to do more than just the LA area, what about adding in San Diego? If your DH doesn't want to drive much on this trip, I'm thinking that making your way up to San Francisco might be a bit far. We're planning on doing the zoo, maybe Sea World, some misc sight seeing in San Diego. It seems like there's plenty to do with kids there.

I think, if you really want to cover all of Disneyland, you'd probably want 3 days. We were there for 2 and there were definitely things we didn't get to. But if you don't mind missing some things, 2 is fine too. It just depends on what your goal is, I guess.
    Betsy and Dave, married 10/18/03
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

There's a Disneyland thread too FYI. We usually do 3 days at Disneyland, especially when it's swimming weather, so we can take breaks and swim. I would not try to do legoland in a day trip. First off the best part of legoland is the hotel, so I would recommend staying there at least one night. There is a lot to do in San Diego with kids, too, as others have mentioned.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Default Disneyland/Southern CA

If your DH doesn't want to drive a lot then adding in SF is a lot but maybe you can change his mind? Again we aren't spending more time in northern CA because we'd like to do an adult trip to Napa, etc so the kids just needs to see the basics (I'd love to take them to see the Redwoods but just not feasible timewise - CA is not where I want to burn at 2 week vacation)

I know we won't see everything we want to at Disney - I've only been once and only for a day, but Disney is only a small part of the trip so I know we will be leaving some stuff on the table.

Hmmm, will have to think about staying at the hotel at Legoland. But then again we will have a 14 and 11 year old so who knows!

J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

If you want to cut down on driving, I can usually get tickets to fly from southern CA to SF for around $50.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Thank you for all the tips and ideas. I'm thinking we may need to skip SF this time and even San Diego and focus on Disneyland, Legoland (and stay at the hotel), and LA/Hollywood. I think that's where my three girls' interests are. I'll check out the Disneyland thread, too, thanks! I don't want to not let the 5yo have her full of princesses but I want my other girls to have a good time, too!

Quote Originally Posted by twinnyme View Post
    Thank you for all the tips and ideas. I'm thinking we may need to skip SF this time and even San Diego and focus on Disneyland, Legoland (and stay at the hotel), and LA/Hollywood. I think that's where my three girls' interests are. I'll check out the Disneyland thread, too, thanks! I don't want to not let the 5yo have her full of princesses but I want my other girls to have a good time, too!

Can I ask what the appeal is of LA/Hollywood? (And I say that as an LA native!)

I would just caution you to make sure that your DH is on board with this. The areas that you are wanting to visit (LA, Orange County and San Diego) will result in hours of sitting in traffic. He should know this.

So, feel free to disregard this comment if you're set on Disneyland/LA, but if the majority of your vacation will be spent at Disney and Legoland, why not just go to Florida? It's a much shorter flight and you wouldn't have a time change. And Disneyland is a lot of fun, but you can't beat WDW
    Betsy and Dave, married 10/18/03
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10