Quantcast

Default Side Effects of Allergy Medicine?

DD2, who will be 9 in April, started taking allergy medicines daily a few months ago. In the last few weeks, she's been telling me she's having trouble sleeping. Last night she said she didn't fall asleep until 5:30am!! Luckily we had a 90-minute school delay.

DD1 and DD3 have both always been terrible sleepers but not DD2. I can't have another terrible sleeper!!! Plus, of course, I'm worried because I know some of these types of medicines increase the heart rate and maybe that's why she's having trouble.

I have a call into her allergy doctor but I just wanted to see if any of you have experienced this. She takes daily:

Morning
    QVar 40 mcg 2 puffs
    Rhinocort
    Zyrtec 10 mg

Evening
    QVar 40 mcg 2 puffs

I did find some links that say "sleep problems" can be a side effect of Zyrtec.
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

I can't speak for children but I know that Zyrtec wires me. I was up for 32 hours off one dose the last time I took it. I'm very insomnic so anything like that makes it so much worse.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

Default Side Effects of Allergy Medicine?

Ugh, VALSP, that sounds awful! I've heard that with Benadryl, too - that, though usually it causes sleepiness (as it does for me), it can hype up some kids.

I just heard back from the doctor. We are going to try to do the evening dose of QVar in late afternoon/very early evening and see if that helps. Right now, we do it RIGHT before bed.

It could also be the stress of third grade math, which she's struggled with off and on this year!

Thanks.
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12

My 3rd grader takes Claritin or Zyrtec every night (we alternate every 6mo) as well as Flonase each night. She hasn't had a hard time sleeping with either.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

I would blame it on the qvar. It's a steroid. Steroids can cause significant hyper-ness, although the inhaled ones should have a lot less systemic effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

Thank you, skyblu. Yes, that's what the doctor said - that it's a steroid, as is the Rhinocort, I think she said. She hasn't been hyper at all, though, not noticeably except for the sleeplessness....

Since the steroids are inhaled, it shouldn't cause hyperness (oral ones definitely can), but it may still cause insomnia.

J + A

Ah. Got it - thanks.

That makes sense! I take a low dose of Prednisone from time to time for an autoimmune disease and it always causes sleeplessness for me!

My husband gets terrible poison ivy and has to do a prednisone taper maybe once a summer. My house is never as clean as when he's on steroids. He is full of energy! But yes, it does interfere with sleep (its best to take oral steroids in the morning, but because they stay in your system so long, this may not help) and it can also cause the infamous "roid rage" at high doses, because it is so stimulating.

Inhaled corticosteroids don't have as many side effects.

Twinny, make sure she rinses her mouth after using the qvar. The main side effect of these meds are oropharyngeal thrush from direct contact of the medicine with the mouth and throat.

J + A