Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default We're building... finally!

So, this has been a few years coming for us. We we're trying big to wait patiently for he Los to be released in the new subdivision just north of where we live now. It took years, and they finally called... a week after I quit my job to stay home. So it wasn't the right time. That was about two years ago. I'm working again, and have fallen further and further out of love with our current home as I'm not home enough to stay on top of keeping it looking good anymore.

So, we drove past the show homes in "our" area a couple weekends ago, and realized that having the chance to consolidate things and reorganize water selling our current home would work really well for us, the prices haven't changed much, and we still love the same floor plan we were looking at before.

We have a different sales guy, but are talking with the same company as a couple years back. We've picked out a lot, which is a lot I always said I really wouldn't want. But, I found out that there will be green space developed behind it, and there's already a retaining wall at the back, so one less bit of fence to pay for. Because the green space isn't developed yet, the lots are much less expensive than the lots backing already developed green space!

We will be about one block from two different good friends of mine, and about 4 blocks from my sister. All of our collective 8 kids will go to the same high school, and 6 are going to the same elementary school. That makes me feel good about buses and rides and safe places, etc. Location location location!!

Our next step at this point is to get the estimate from the builder, get an estimate from our realtor friend on or current house, and go to the bank. My van just died and I'm thinking about thing like pretty lighting upgrades and a custom tile shower when I shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married 7.3.04 Henry 10.29.08 Charlie 11.19.11

Here is a look at the floor plan were starting by out with. It's currently 1714 square feet, and we're hoping to add two feet to one side. We want to make the front steps a bit bigger, and add the extra footage to the kitchen entry way, and the master bedroom and closet.

We're waiting on their drafts person to come back with a few changes as well:
    Adding the two feet along the kitchen side of the house
    Using pocket doors for all the closets upstairs and the master ensuite
    The "mud room" closet coming in from the garage will be cubbies and hooks instead of an actual closet
    The kitchen island will be a rectangle because I have self diagnosed slight OCD about symmetry, and I just can't handle the shape in their right now
    Probably bigger windows for the two kids rooms
    No tub in the master ensuite, but a tiled shower instead
    And we probably won't cover the deck. The deck will be on the north side of the house, so I feel like it could potentially be dark enough

Anything I'm missing with the plans? This house is fitting on our lot without a ton of wiggle room after the two feet are added on, so a lot bigger isn't possible. I love that we're backing the soon to be green space so the kids can play in the yard for now, and behind the fence in a few years.

I like the layout. Without dimensions it is hard to say be from the drawings it also looks reasonable to maintain ... not to big, not too small.
    We had green space behind our old townhouse and it was fantastic to only have to maintain a small lot and get the benefit of a few acres! Your lot, with friends and family, sounds absolutely perfect for you.
    Only thing I see to consider is will the new car fit in the garage! My van is too tight of a fit for ours.

Thanks kinder! I'm looking forward to getting the dimensions myself, especially with the added two feet. Hopefully I can share that soon!

I'm definitely keeping my new vehicle in mind. DH drives a huge truck though, and we're already considering that he might be parking outside of the garage anyway, so I would probably have a bit more room. But it's still something to think about.

Twilla I like the layout too, especially the bonus room. What are your plans for that? I'm with you on the symmetry thing. It drives me crazy to see islands shaped like that.

The bonus room will basically be the hangout for the boys for video games and movies, with a table for board games and homework, that sort of thing. I think it'll be a cool teenager hangout as well, with parents still bear enough to hear.

That's awesome! I wish we had a bonus room.

We met with the builder again to chat about some details in the floor plan, and find out about our next steps. Turns out the lot prices are going up $8,000-ish as of February 7, so we're going to put a down payment on the lot asap. It won't be too hard to arrange access to the money for that, but we need to meet with the bank to ensure we are pre-approved before doing that of course (and the need to buy a new vehicle really sucks in the middle of that!!!). So I will set up that meeting this week, and also buy a new van. I'll feel very broke by next weekend.

We leave to see MIL in four weeks. When we get back, we need to be getting our current house ready to put on the market. It's slow these days in our area, so I really don't know what to expect. But they say 6-8 months for the build, so I don't want to wait. I don't know exactly what we'll do if it sells fast and we have to find a rental, but it would suck far more if it doesn't sell and we have two mortgages.

So with that in mind, I'm really working hard at purging. I filled a garbage bag and three smaller bags to donate today, but it really feels like I'm just scratching the surface. I get really anxious about purging and often end up overwhelmed, especially if I'm going through kid stuff. I only cried once today, which is an improvement.

I distract myself with thoughts of picking lighting and flooring!

The only thing I was going to mention was the shape of your island, but I see you are already on that! I love, love, love my new island, which is a big rectangle with no raised breakfast bar. Having a breakfast bar really cuts back on food prep space.