Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

So exciting Twy! I can't wait to see how it comes along.
    I hear you on falling out of love with your house. I would love to move out of ours now but DH and I disagree with what the next move it and he really doesn't want to move yet. I will win but it takes time!
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

Becky, I totally hear that! No raised breakfast bar for me! I'm super excited to have a nice shaped and sized, flat, clear, and hopefully pretty surface!!

VASLP, it helped me a bit to not hate our current home when I got a cleaner twice a month. That's made such a big difference!

We met at the bank today and..... we're approved for well over what we plan to spend on the house!!! We're planning to stay about 20-30 grand under and consider that our max. That way, if I find something I really really really want to upgrade, I can. I'm planning upgrades to some lighting (but I'll go very simple in rooms like the laundry room, so perhaps we won't be too far over!), the countertops in the kitchen and possibly the master bathroom, and the extra square footage. The flooring, I'll probably go lower for now, and the shingles I'll probably give good thought to an upgrade.

I'm so excited! Now I'm just waiting for the latest from the sales guy. We want to have floor plans finalized within he next three weeks. We leave in three and a half weeks for Maui, then when we get home two weeks later, we will go crazy purging and cleaning so we can have our realtor over mid to late March. Whew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married 7.3.04 Henry 10.29.08 Charlie 11.19.11

So exciting!!

I'm on pins and needles. Just waiting for the official letter from the bank to pass to the builders, and word that the builders are happy with our down payment. But I've already mentally moved into this house, so it just has to work!!!
    Meanwhile, our realtor is working on a market assessment to prepare to price our house, and we want to get it on the market by the end of March. Which gives me a tight timeline when we get back from our trip to purge and paint. I've packed a bunch of boxes already for storage, and taken about a dozen boxes or garbage bags full of stuff to the garage to donate. Whew. I'm feeling overwhelmed at how much there is to do just before we can even list! I'm packing away all the framed photos, etc. And keeping any generic art and mirrors ready to rearrange. The realtor says the decluttering is the most important, and hardest, part!

Has anyone used a stager before to sell? I have an acquaintance who has a sister who does this professionally, but is it worth it? I'm already rethinking how to set things up to show off the house.

And next question.... any thoughts on exterior colour? We will have all white trim since I love clean and white, and that's what is included, so I'd rather be creative with the stucco colour than pay more. I love grays, but is that too boring?

Default We're building... finally!

Personally, I love the idea of gray and white. We have cream siding and DH and I both wish it were grey. Then you can add a pop of color with the door and it doesn't tie you to something permanently or isn't hard or costly to change. Growing up we had red, then purple with that gray/white combo. Our current door is a deep teal.

I'm in love with teal the past several years! There is another house in the area with a real door, but that house is a beige and not gray, so it would still be a bit different. I like the idea of saying, "it's (address), the one on the corner with the bright real door!" Great idea! I hadn't even thought outside of the white that comes with the house, but it could be worth looking into the price to have it done for me...

So we're just waiting for now, which sort of sucks. The insurance people want to appraise the new house, but as the builder doesn't have the official plans fully drawn out yet, they can't. Usually the builders won't do the full floor plan with the preapproval letter from the bank, but I explained that if they didn't do it, we wouldn't get a preapproval letter, and would then require our deposit back.... and voila! They're working on the plans. Our sales lady is actually here in Maui, but goes home a week before us, so hopefully she'll have it fully sorted out by the time we get back.

But I'm already planning my packing and unpacking, and furniture arrangements. As soon as we get home, it's going to be a major push to paint and prep the house for the market. Then we cross our fingers, and see when a possession date comes up, and whether we need to move into a rental or not. Exciting and scary!

My obsession lately has been lighting. This is where I am so far in planning:
    Dining nook:

Either over the island or in the foyer:

Other light option for foyer or island (one in foyer, maybe the other over the island):

I kind of love this for over the island as well, but I think there are only two lights over it, and I don't know that these would be enough light:

And a final alternative for the island:

I love this for the laundry room:

For the kids rooms:

For the bonus room:

Kids bathroom (and the two light option for the powder room:

Master bedroom:

Ensuite bathroom (I can't choose!!):

And I need to find a reasonable option for the master closet, but I may just go with the same single bulb light from the laundry room.