Quantcast
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Yes, I'm sure I put The Killing Lessons on my to-read list after you recommended!

Little Deaths was pretty good and held my attention, but I rated it 3 stars, since it was not as absorbing as The Dry or Kind Worth Killing. But definitely worth a read.

(killing and death. I gotta get out more!)
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieR View Post
    I'm so jealous that you guys can still read books. I feel like I may never read again. A friend gave me the Leah Remini book and I have not even cracked it. I am debating an internet hiatus over spring break and forcing myself to read just to get back on track. We'll see if I can do it!
    Leslie, can you do middle-reader or YA lit? I get out of the habit of reading whenever I get stressed or busy and find myself slipping into wasting energy on the Internet which is not good for my attention span and just makes me more anxious and stressed. I force myself to limit my screen time in favor of a book and ease back into it with children's books as they can be short but substantive and well-written. I often gain a new perspective after reading them, too.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Leslie, what about re-reading an Outlander book? Something you've read that you can half focus on to get you back into the habit. This weekend with the flu, I binge watched Outlander on Starz. I had vowed not to watch it, but caved earlier in the week and had seen about 4. I finished both series this weekend. Unfortunately, that propelled me into reading book 3....for probably the 6th time (for the entire series) Sadly that is not a joke. I guess that should be in confessions.... and holy moley now I'm in love with Sam Hueghan. Yum.

He is yummy bug, and according to Diana he's super sweet and kind in person too!
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

Anyone discover any great reads over the summer? I've had a few lately that I've enjoyed. I'm often reading an e-book and listening to an audiobook at the same time. E-books fall off first when life is busy, but the commute and folding laundry never goes away so audiobooks stay. Here are a few that I've enjoyed, some might have been listed above I can't remember. But I've stumbled up on some good ones recently. I'm looking forward to cozy stormy day reading with a mug of tea.

Recent Audiobooks:

It's Always the Husband, by Michele Campbell -- Fast paced and nice and twisty.

The Bungalow, by Sarah Jio -- It was a good beach read, perfect for vacation.

We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart -- This may have been YA, but definitely a complex story and quite unpredictable in parts.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, by Gail Honeyman -- Just started this book so we'll see how it goes. It does sound like Reese Witherspoon has picked up the movie rights, so I'm optimistic.

Recent/Current E-Books:

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin -- I really enjoyed this book, it felt simple but ended up being a much bigger story than I anticipated. I've reccomended to a few family and friends and we've all loved it!

The Couple Next Door, by Shari Lapena -- I enjoyed it, fast paced and full of flawed characters. I enjoy these type books, but limit this genre to less than 40% of my total time. I need to spend my time with nice normal people or I just feel bad ;-).

Big Little Lies, by Liane Moriarty -- I had started the HBO series and got half way through when my book club decided to read the book. I loved the book, and it was totally enhanced already having that amazing imagery from HBO to visualize. All the bookclubbers thought this was one of the few times where reading and watching totally complemented each other, no matter which order it came in.

Little Paris Gift Shop by Nina George -- I stumbled upon this one after seeking out books set in France after a recent trip. I'm about 60% through this book and having a great time reading it. it seemed so simple, but has turned out to be so much more involved than I expected (in a good way).

Anyone have any recently loved books?