Quantcast
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Scarlett, I got the sequel as well! I plan to read them consecutively.
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nombre View Post
    I finished The Dry and would like to highly recommend. It's a wonderfully compelling mystery about a hometown boy who returns to attend the funeral of his childhood friend and his family who were brutally murdered. As a cop now in the city, he is drawn into the crime. Set in Australia, he returns home to the town he fled under a cloud of suspicion for another murder decades earlier. Are they connected? You won't put this one down until you discover the truth.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just finished it, and I really enjoyed it too. It was a bit of a slow burn, but I liked the intersection of the past and present crimes.

Glad you liked it, littlebear! Slow burn is a very apt description!
    - Mekong

I'm so jealous that you guys can still read books. I feel like I may never read again. A friend gave me the Leah Remini book and I have not even cracked it. I am debating an internet hiatus over spring break and forcing myself to read just to get back on track. We'll see if I can do it!

I'm still slogging through the Outlander series. I'm on The Fiery Cross and it is so tedious that I don't really want to read it. I should just give up and find something else.

The Fiery Cross and A Breath of Snow and Ashes were rough. The last two books were so good, though!

I've been reading a Breath of Snow and Ashes for.....about 2.5 years. Ha! I've got to finish it this summer. I was a little more inspired after meeting Diana Gabaldon and listening to her talk about the Outlander series (and sign books!) but....then I didn't read more than a couple chapters. Ha!
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

I finished Little Deaths and gave it 3 stars. A solid murder mystery, but didn't quite live up to my "sense of place and time" expectations.

Now I'm on to Dead Letters by Caite Dolan-Leach. This was an advance reader's copy Goodreads win. Completely riveting so far; it's the tale of an identical twin who returns home to Western NY upon the notification of the death of her twin, which she suspects is faked. Set in wine country of the Finger Lakes, this booze-soaked mystery is a compulsive page-turner.
    Did you end up liking Dead Letters? We seem to have the same taste in crime/murder mystery so I wanted to get your take on it.

Littlebear, I'm only about halfway through, but unless there's a really lame ending, I am enjoying it very much so far! I'll post a full review when finished.

As for other recs, did you read The Kind Worth Killing? I posted about it earlier in this thread, as did another member. REALLY riveting crime fiction! I was highly impressed by that one as well.
    - Mekong

Littlebear, I'm only about halfway through, but unless there's a really lame ending, I am enjoying it very much so far! I'll post a full review when finished.

As for other recs, did you read The Kind Worth Killing? I posted about it earlier in this thread, as did another member. REALLY riveting crime fiction! I was highly impressed by that one as well.
    Yes. I read The Kind Worth Killing. The Killing Lessons by Saul Black was really good too. Really dark and gritty and felt a little like the true crime story In Cold Blood.