Quantcast
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Started The Kind Worth Killing. So good. Finally a book that is holding my interest!

Quote Originally Posted by akacharlotte View Post
    Started The Kind Worth Killing. So good. Finally a book that is holding my interest!
    Right! Best one I had read in a while. Lives up to the hype.

For Tana French fans, just finished The Trespasser, which is book 6 of the Dublin Murder Squad series. I enjoyed it. I thought some of the earlier ones were better, but I like her style a lot. This can also definitely stand alone if you haven't read other books in the series but wanted to check this one out.

Oh, also forgot that I read Today Will Be Different (from the author of Where'd You Go Bernadette). It was pretty boring and a mess. It tried to be Where'd You Go, but the character was just a mess and not relatable at all. I was really disappointed.

I'm almost done Gorbachev's new book "The New Russia" - I thought it would be better. It's basically his speeches and letters, I was hoping it would be more about his thoughts on the state of Russia today.

I'm reading Little Deaths, primarily because it is set in Queens, NY in the 60s (where I grew up). It's a murder mystery and quite disturbing, but well-written and engrossing.
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

I just read The Velvet Hours by Alyson Richman. It moves between two time periods -- the late 1800s and early 1940s Paris. It's a fictional story based on the life of Marthe de Florian, a French courtesan whose Paris apartment was discovered in 2010. It had been untouched for decades and was like a gigantic time capsule. (I think I remember hearing about the story when it was discovered.) Anyway, I really liked it, and I spent an hour Googling the woman's story when I finished the book.

I finished Little Deaths and gave it 3 stars. A solid murder mystery, but didn't quite live up to my "sense of place and time" expectations.

Now I'm on to Dead Letters by Caite Dolan-Leach. This was an advance reader's copy Goodreads win. Completely riveting so far; it's the tale of an identical twin who returns home to Western NY upon the notification of the death of her twin, which she suspects is faked. Set in wine country of the Finger Lakes, this booze-soaked mystery is a compulsive page-turner.
    - Mekong

Becky, that one sounds right up my alley! I have another book by that author on my Pending shelf on my Nook called The Garden of Letters, so good to know you liked her style!

I also finally purchased Between Shades of Grey, that someone here (I believe it was Scarlett?) highly recommended to me. So I've got a couple of WWII treats on my Pending shelf when I'm in the mood for historical fiction.
    - Mekong

It's been a long time since I read Between Shades of Gray, sin, but it was a good one.

Good memory sin - it's been years since I recommended that one. I hope you like it. The sort of sequel, Salt to the Sea, is good too.