Quantcast
Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970

I always find it mind boggling when people believe public services are a waste of money because they simply don't want to pay taxes. We live in a society - and healthy, educated populations make for much better societies - so why wouldn't we want good healthcare and quality education for everyone?

The example I use when talking to people who balk at that sort of thing is about services we don't generally think about our taxes funding - like the fire department or the police. Imagine if your house was on fire and you called the fire department, and their response was "Well, if you can pay $2000 in advance, we'll come put the fire out." Or if someone robbed you, but if you weren't a member of the 'police department funding club', they wouldn't help you. It would be chaos. It would be far more corrupt than people believe things are now. I can't believe people think they actually want to live in that kind of society - you have to wonder why they don't move to a desert island.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_71 View Post
    I do think many people feel similar about education and don't see the big picture. DS goes to an excellent charter school. We live in a pretty bad school district (schools are underfunded because we mostly have old snowbirds here who do not want their tax dollars to pay for schools) and the school we are zoned for is horrible. So we were extremely lucky to have this option for DS. But just because this is working out so well for us doesn't mean I'm in favor of this crazy voucher system. Because even though it will (possibly) benefit my kid's school, it's detrimental to our education system as a whole. However, I don't know how many parents at this school are Trump supporters exactly because of this. Their kid's charter school is their "single issue." That is so crazy to me. People are willing to throw the whole country under the bus for their own child's education.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree. We chose to send DS to a small private school so it is likely the voucher system will bring us some benefit but I do not agree with the voucher system at all. I don't want it and think it is a horrible idea and if our public schools were better funded and performed better we probably would have sent DS to public. The schools around here take a dive once we hit the middle school years. The majority of the families in my neighborhood(and we had at one point, 4 neighborhood schools, 2 elementary, one middle and one high school) send their kids to private from the start, at the end of elementary or move to another county with better performing public schools as their kids approach kindergarten. One of the BOE members mentioned instead of building a new school and moving its location, Metro needs to look at the rate of attrition occurring across the board. One of our elementary schools closed about 5 or 6 years ago, turned into a charter that lasted maybe 2 years and now sits empty. We just lost our neighborhood public high school and there is a fight from the neighborhood to prevent development of the property it currently sits on in order to fund the new high school a few miles away in an area in which the community pays taxes differently(into a general fund versus the city) and pays less taxes overall but about 48% of this community attend the high school. There is a lot of anger from both sides on that issue and it got a bit dirty with my neighborhood being referred to as snobs by the other community.

This worries me:http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-privacy-rules

It already passed the Senate and I believe it goes to the House today. Yes- regulations are burdensome on companies but that does not make them a bad thing. Ugh.

Default The oxygen mask will also help muffle your screams

Yes, I read that the other day, gator97, and was also worried by it.

Re schools we have a similar issue in our town: people who are done with their kids being in school and are vocal about not wanting to pay taxes for schools. But I'm always pleased to see that some elders understand the reasons they continue to have to!
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

I miss the convos here! So much going on the last month... the new proposed tax cuts, the impending budget/government shutdown, the wall, the North Korea situation, etc.