Quantcast
Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Default The oxygen mask will also help muffle your screams

Be sure to put yours on first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cute title! I'm on board. (pun intended)

So, the other day I read that one of the Electors in TX has stepped down. And another in WI has been getting death threats. DH and I were talking about what we would do if we were Electors. I said I would vote my conscience no matter the popular vote in my state or if there was a fine or if I would be disqualified. There is no way I would vote for Trump. No way. DH said he would follow the popular vote. What would you do?

Default The oxygen mask will also help muffle your screams

I don't have time right now for a detailed comment about Leslie's question. But, I wanted to drop off this editorial by one of the TX electorals.
    ETA- I ❤️❤️❤️ the last sentence!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/05...m.facebook.com
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

I would vote for the winner of my state if that was what I had agreed to do. Because I would be super pissed if an elector changed their vote for someone I did not support who lost the vote. Part of agreeing to be an elector is agreeing to the process as it is written. Democracy means that you don't always get what you want unfortunately, but trickery is not the solution because it sets a precedent that can backfire in the future.

I agree with PT. I would grit my teeth and carry on the duty I was charged with, which is to represent the majority of voters. I would find it absolutely enraging if an elector voted against my candidate even if my candidate won our state, so as much as it would kill me, I'd cast the vote as chosen by the people.

Note to self: don't become an elector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

I would not vote for Trump. I 100% agree with the TX elector in VASLP's article. The electoral college is one of the checks and balances meant to prevent an unfit person from becoming president. I fully believe that was the intent. Our founding fathers didn't completely trust "the people" and wanted to make sure that if they were to fall prey to a demagogue there would be a a redundancy in place. If the whole point of the electoral college was to just balance the states by assigning electoral votes based on population then there needn't be actual electors casting the votes, a human element would be unnecessary. The electoral votes themselves would be enough to determine the winner, no need to involve any humans casting them.
    Pine Tree I agree that electors should not cast votes based on the popular vote alone. But this is very different. Trump is doing everything he possibly can to show us he is unfit to be president. He did it all through his campaign and he is doing it now. If I were an elector I would feel that it is my duty in this case to do what the founding fathers would have wanted me to do. Now who I would vote for, that I don't know. I would have to figure that out.

I feel like I have read so many things on the electoral college that I am on information overload at this point and don't know what to think. Yesterday I read an article about the "Hamilton Electors" (hamiltonelectors.com) who are trying to convince Rs to not vote for Trump. They have 8 on board thus far (and apparently they are going to vote for Kasich instead of Trump). A Harvard law professor and California law firm have offered to give free counsel to electors.

dragon, I think you raise a good point about the human element. Why meet for a formal vote if it's already set in stone?

haha, love the new thread title!

So Trump says in an off-hand manner that the order for the new Air Force One (presidential planes) from Boeing should be cancelled because they are too much money. And Boeing stock drops as a result. When will he learn?????