Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default kids raiding your fridge/pantry during a visit

Every time my niece comes over to play with DS she heads straight for the pantry/fridge. I am not sure if this is just normal kid behavior...raiding the fridge/pantry for food immediately upon entering someone's home? I am not even sure if she is truly hungry. I understand why both she and DS do it at my ILs or DS at my parent's house because they typically have yummy treats we don't necessarily have at home but she eats a lot whenever she comes over to my house even if it is a short visit.

Do your kids or the kids of your family or friends of your kids do this when visiting?

That would make me really uncomfortable, even if it's family.

When I host playdates, I will put out a medium-size platter filled with many options and one treat. So, cuties, pretzels, various cheese options, salami and a cookie for each or similar. I put it on our breakfast table and let the kids help themselves.

DD2's best friend lives two doors down. They often raid the "snack drawer" if they come straight to our house after getting off the bus after school or other times after playing outside. I typically limit them to one snack then offer fruit. If the friend gets in the house first she'll go straight to the drawer. All other play dates are planned and my kids know to ask me before offering snacks. This girl is the only one I don't mind doing that because I know my DD has open access (politely) at her house, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

I would put a stop to it. I've encouraged DD to offer specific drinks and snacks to visitors, but kid visitors are not allowed to raid the pantry or fridge by themselves.

I wouldn't even be OK or understand my kids doing that at my parents' house, to be honest.

I wouldn't be ok with that at my house or my parents ' either. My DS is not allowed food without asking for it. If it was my neice, I'd still not allow it or a friend. We also discourage snacking. I will wait for DS to ask for a snack and he frequently doesn't. I wonder if snacking is just out of boredom at times so I limit offering.

I agree with Taurus - that wouldn't be okay to me for DD to do at anyone's house. Even at our house, she asks.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

This is timely. We're staying at my parents house and I just caught my boys literally climbing their fridge shelves foraging. Um, NO. I put a stop to that. My kids would just graze all day long and never eat a meal if they had free access to fridge/snacks. They need to ask, even at home, and I would not be ok with other kids having free access either.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Default kids raiding your fridge/pantry during a visit

DS is not allowed to raid the pantry either at our house or MIL's house, although she would let him if I didn't put a stop to it.
    But kids are creatures of habit so if your niece and DS are used to doing this at your parents' house (and it may even be encouraged there) then I can see why niece thought it would be okay to do so at your house. And if up until now no one told her any different then it's probably just what she expects when she comes over. You may not have tons of snacks but you may have different things from what she gets at home, plus to me, when I was a kid, food was always better/more interesting at someone else's house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Up until this weekend she has asked but not until she has opened the fridge or the pantry to see what I have and then it is, "Aunt Stacey can I have a?" whatever she sees that she wants But that is pretty much always her first stop. DS typically asks when at my parents because he cannot reach the "good" stuff so I misspoke saying he raids their kitchen....more like he knows they have treats and wants them so he asks right away. As my MIL used to watch DS on a daily basis as well as my nieces the rules are more lax there plus my SIL is at her mom's nearly every day she is not working. My ILs home is like my nieces home she spends so much time there. If I am present when at their house DS normally comes to me first and asks permission. MIL keeps the kid friendly snacks down low at their level. He almost always asks with us at home. When niece is here he tends to forget the rules of the house however. Niece has asked in the past but I don't know if she is now assuming because I have almost always said yes that she no longer has to ask. I will remind her next time she visits that she has to ask and maybe start hiding some of the junk food.