Quantcast

Default Corning / Watkins Glen, NY

So we are thinking of spending a few days in the Corning / Watkins Glen, NY area with the kids in late August. Anyone have recommendations of a good lake for swimming in the area with access to bathrooms? What else is worth visiting besides for the glass museum and watkins glen state park?

I think I remembered that someone on this board lives near there but I can't remember who.
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011

McG is up that way.

I went to college at Elmira so I was right in the area. I used to love to explore the Gorges in the Ithaca area.

The Watkins Glen race track can be fun depending on the kids interests.

There's the Glider museum up on Harris Hill in Elmira. On a nice day that's a fun park to picnic and play and watch the gliders go off.

There is an old fashion drive-in movie theater halfway between Elmira and Corning, last I checked it was still open.

I remember Buttermilk Falls in Watkins Glen having a cool nature made swimming pool.

Those are the things off the top of my head.
    I have some friends that live in Corning so I'll check in with them on anything I'm missing.
    Last edited by VASLP; 08-09-2016 at 03:21 AM.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

Buttermilk Falls was always a super treat to visit. It was my family's favorite water fall to visit.

Thanks guys!

We looked at the racetrack but unfortunately we will be there between events. Can you watch them practice or something even when there are no races? My 11 year old DS LOVES all things cars and really wanted to hit the racetrack.

I also checked out buttermilk falls and it looks like they are experiencing a drought right now and there is no water for swimming in the lower falls. I hope they get some rain before we go!
    Married 8.5.2001

We are back from the trip and had a great time!

We ended up at Nathaniel Cole park near Binghamton for the lake, then did Watkins Glen State Park, the speedway where there were cars practicing, and Corning Museum of Glass.
    Married 8.5.2001

Sure, now I find this thread! (I looked before, but couldn't find it, weird!). That's cool that you were able to see some cars at the track! Did the kids like the Museum? I haven't taken my kids there yet.

I'm glad you had such a good time.
    I laugh every time I think of the Corning museum. I went there with my parents on Parents Weekend when I was a freshman in college. OMG I have never been so bored in all my life. We were there about 4 hours and I was literally bored to tears. I still get a little anxiety about it when I think back to it.
    The funny thing is normally I would love that kind of thing. So, I don't know if it was just being under my parents thumb again for the first time in months after leaving for college or just typical teenage "this is so uncool" attitude, but I never recommend it to people because I'm always afraid it really was that bad! Everyone loves it though so I should give it a second chance sometime when I'm up there.
    Married 10/16/04

Vaslp that is hysterical about the glass museum! My kids loved making their own glass and all the demonstrations but could care less about walking through galleries.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Married 8.5.2001

Yes, the demonstration and make your own is fun! The rest - eh! Bulls in China shops!

Haha! By the time we made it to the demonstration part I was within seconds on literally dying of boredom so I fake a hypoglycemic episode so that we could leave. I think I saw the glass make it into the fire and then I was out of there!
    Married 10/16/04