Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Great Outdoors used to be one of my all-time favorite movies! But there is definitely some questionable language in it - there is one scene were Dan Akroyd is drunk and says he has to "go introduce mister thick d*ck to mister urinal cake". I'm sure I remember that because it was so inappropriate!

I think Cool Runnings is a great option - I'm putting that on our to-watch list. We just let our boys watch Goonies and they loved it. Lots of sh*t and hell, but nothing worse. They've also seen Honey I Shrunk the Kids, which was a big hit.

ok, thanks for all the warnings on The Great Outdoors. I definitely don't want to show that! I think I might need to rewatch it, though. I remember it being so funny.

I tried showing Goonies to my kids last summer and it was too scary for them.

They have seen all of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids movies and enjoyed them.

Princess Bride is a favorite but I think it's likely overdone with this group.

I'll probably go with Cool Runnings but I'd love to keep this thread going for ideas.

One Q on Cool Runnings: I don't know that I've seen it. Does it make fun of the Jamaicans or stereotype people of color? We live in an unfortunately white bread town where most friends are coming from but I have friends that are AA coming that no one else has met before. I don't want to show something that might be offensive. They're also the only ones coming that don't have children (they had a son who died at ~ 2yo from a rare genetic disease) so I want to be overly sensitive.

A few suggestions:

Fly Away Home
    Mr. Peabody and Sherman
    Dolphin Tale

They're great movies, but maybe not as popular.

My granddaughters(5 and 7) really enjoyed Dolphin Tale and Dolphin Tale 2. They are very much in to wild life and animals. Another one that my kids liked was Mighty Ducks. Now I haven't seen it in forever so I don't remember whether it had an inappropriate words/scenes in it.

I don't think Cool Runnings makes fun of the Jamaican culture as a whole. I think there's a lot of "wait, what are Jamaicans doing in the winter" and some ... bullying that might come with that. But, ultimately the movie has a good conclusion and people are cheering with the team and not making fun of them.

I'd avoid League of Their Own; as much as I love it, there are some inappropriate parts with drinking and smoking.

I'll second Sandlot but that does have minor tobacco usage.

Someone recently brought up Hoosiers; love that movie. It's obviously sporty though
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Dolphin Tale. That Is the one I was thinking of that was a huge hit across ages and genders.

We also love Peabody and ShermAn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomwood View Post
    They have seen all of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids movies and enjoyed them.
    Good to hear!!

Home Alone? How about any of the switch body movies like Freaky Friday? Big has a few questionable parts but might go over their heads.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

My first thought was Parent Trap, specifically the one with Lindsay Lohan. The summer camp scenes are fun and it's clean but funny.
    e1~12/24/10
    e2~12/21/14

I ran across these two lists and thought they might be useful to anyone else in the same predicament:
    Best Non-Animated Family Movies

Best Kids and Family Movies

I cross-referenced a few with CSM and came up with some options for another time including Cheaper By The Dozen, Soul Surfer, and Opposite Day.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with Cool Runnings. I hate to admit it, but the girls have seen pretty much every movie that has been recommended.