Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Movie Recommendations

We are having a party next Saturday and plan to show a movie for the kids. There will be 9 kids between 7 and 10 yo. 8 girls and 1 boy. He is a very engineer-focused kid, not sporty. I would say the girls lean more toward young for their age, only one I would peg as more sophisticated (or at least thinks she is )

I am looking for an engaging movie that most might not have seen but even if they have, it will be okay to watch again. Most of what I am coming up with is not animated.

I've looked at Common Sense Media and have narrowed the list based on age recs and reviews but would love your feedback on the following:

Summer Rental: John Candy from the 80s. It is not on CSM and I can't get a read from amazon reviews if it's ok or not. I'd REALLY like to show this movie as it fits so well with our location. Any thoughts?

The Babysitters Club: it's a sure winner for girls but would the single boy like it?

The Lizzie McGuire Movie: seems about spot-on just not sure about the boy...

Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer: seems too young?

A League of Their Own: It's been years since I've seen it; is it too sexy?

Any others you'd highly recommend? I think most of the girls have seen the obvious ones.

The Princess Bride?

The other one I was thinking of that gets great reviews on CSM is Cool Runnings. Thought that might be a good one with the Olympics going on, even if that's a winter sport!

I'd only caution Summer Rental, because there is a scene where the neighbor takes her top off and asks John Candy to touch them with discussion of her boob job. Depends on your thoughts on that. Otherwise, it's a fun movie for both boys and girls I'd think.

How about the Great Outdoors? Another John Candy (and Dan Ackroyd) movie, but I don't remember any "sexy" type scenes.
    Last edited by VASLP; 08-08-2016 at 05:31 AM.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

It is sporty, but honestly, I love McFarland USA. There is something for everyone in that movie. No sex or language, maybe a bit mature in alluded to violence not seen on screen. No one does, gets robbed or ends up pregnant. May be a year or two old for them, but I showed it to my nephews and their friends, and everyone, the parents included, loved it. Kevin Costner plays down on your luck middle age more realistically than anyone I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomwood View Post
    The other one I was thinking of that gets great reviews on CSM is Cool Runnings. Thought that might be a good one with the Olympics going on, even if that's a winter sport!
    Given the timeliness of the Olympics, this is a good choice, also. What would be EXCELLENT would be a G rated movie about a swimmer or swim team, but I can't think of any.

We recently introduced my kids to Herbie the Love Bug and they totally love it! We actually got all of the Herbie movies and they've watched them several times already.

Some other ones that come to mind: The Sandlot or The Goonies. My kids really love The Sandlot but haven't seen Goonies yet- I need to get on that!
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

I wouldn't do The Great Outdoors. They showed that at a city sponsored camp out a few years ago and those of us with kids were all shocked at how much inappropriate content was in it. And I'm pretty lenient with what I let DD watch.

There's an American Girl movie about swimming - Chrissa Stands Strong. There's also the documentary about Missy Franklin called Touch the Wall. But I'm not sure if that would be too hardcore for kids that aren't competitive swimmers.
    Marriage - 10/12/2003
    Lily - 9/26/2006

It's been years seen I've seen the Great Outdoors. I don't remember that.
    It's probably safe to assume that most John Candy movies will have some inappropriate stuff though.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

I have been wanting to show my kids Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Man my sisters and I loved that movie. I think it will be fine - I just remember a scene with a kiss and reference to French kissing.