Quantcast
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I second the Lands End backpacks - they have small and medium sizes that are great for younger kids.

I just found 2 purple ballpoint pens that my daughter mysteriously already had? Hoping I can return the other ones. I was able to complete our list (bingo dotter and all) on Amazon btw, I am relieved to have it all done.

Regarding pencils, only one child (3rd grader) had it on her list and it just said "a package of pencils". No directions on sharpened or not. So I think we got off easy for pencils this year!!
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

I have a complaint! Last year the kids were allowed rolling backpacks and I was going to let DS just continue to use his current one. Well this year they don't allow rolling ones so I have to buy a new one after all. Womp womp! DS doesn't care but DH thinks he should get new gear every year anyway because that is what MIL did. Why? If the kid doesn't care and his stuff is still good, why buy new?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our PTSA had the supply kits we could order so I did that. It was around $20-$23/kid. I hate all the waste of school supplies! My teen still has index cards I bought one year & he never used!

When the kids are older & have lockers I think the rolling bags are not allowed since they can jam the lockers.

One year I refused to sharpen the pencils and sent DS1 in with unsharpened ones. He informed me that he spent the first day or two sharpening pencils. Bah! I have bought pre-sharpened pencils since. I might be really frugal in other areas, but when it comes to stuff like this, I would overpay by a $100 to avoid hassle.

Rolling backpacks aren't allowed in our school district - they say they are a safety hazard because people can trip over them.

DD's supply list hasn't been posted yet, but DS's has- but I refuse to shop for it, especially since I've heard rumors that his teacher may not be returning next year (she was out on medical leave last year and while cleared to return to work, she may not).

I refuse to buy the kids new backpacks this year - I told them last year that they wouldn't be getting new ones - they both needed them before this past school year because they had outgrown their previous ones. I told DD hers needed to last 2 years - She can get a new one before middle school. And I hope DS's will last 3 years. And they aren't getting new lunchboxes either.

There are certain things I will buy every year - A new pencil box and new box of pencils (even though we have partial filled ones).

I can't even think about school yet - which is a good sign of how busy we are, but I do need to get thinking in the next couple of weeks because this year we are away on vacation until 2 days before school starts.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Our school encourages rolling backpacks but the kids only use them getting from the car or bus to their classroom. Younger grades have school tote bags that they carry from class to class (they change classrooms every period starting in k) and the older kids (6th grade up) have open cubbies in which to store their text books so they carry just the books they need from class to class.

My backpack approach has been a smaller one from PBK for k-2, a rolling PBK for 3-4, and DD1 will get a new rolling one this year and we'll see how long that lasts. I really don't think they should get new backpacks every year simply because it is so wasteful. But, after 2 years, they are pretty beat up. I remember getting new gear every year but I just can't do it! Both girls have planet lunchboxes that they've had for 5+ years. They are in perfect shape. Plus, they buy lunch most often now anyway.

I really don't think they should get new backpacks every year simply because it is so wasteful. But, after 2 years, they are pretty beat up. I remember getting new gear every year but I just can't do it!
    I totally agree I mentioned up thread that DS1 has had the same backpack since 1st grade and he will be in 5th grade this year. His backpack is still in great shape but, he wants a new one since he's had his for so long. I am letting him get one DD, OTOH, thrashes her backpacks each year. They have holes in them by the end of the year so she will once again, be getting a new backpack.

We've had great luck with LL Bean lunch bags. Both of my kids have had them since they started school (so going on 6 years for DS and 4 years for DD.) Even their Camelback water containers are still in excellent shape and they are just as old!
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_71 View Post
    I have a complaint! Last year the kids were allowed rolling backpacks and I was going to let DS just continue to use his current one. Well this year they don't allow rolling ones so I have to buy a new one after all. Womp womp! DS doesn't care but DH thinks he should get new gear every year anyway because that is what MIL did. Why? If the kid doesn't care and his stuff is still good, why buy new?
    That's annoying, dragonfly, that they changed it this year. We make our kids keep the same backpacks for a couple of years each. That's one of the only good things about our weird transitions in our district - kids transition 5 times - K-2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 (middle school), then HS. I buy cheapie bags at Target mostly, though the girls have each had a good LLBean or Lands End backpack once or twice with matching lunch box. So every couple of years it's worn out (if it wears out earlier they can of course get a new one) and they can pick a new one according to their tastes.

Like Chimichanga, our teachers have typically had boys bring in one thing and girls another (like tissues for one, paper towels for the other). DD2, who is going into 3rd grade, got her list on the last day of school - and her teacher assignment. DD1, who is going into 6th grade, has not gotten her teacher assignment yet, though they're due today - and she is on pins and needles waiting for it mainly BECAUSE she wants to go supply shopping. (Once she has the teacher assignment, the supply list is on the school website.) She's away right now for 2.5 weeks with my sister and her only sad point about going was that she would not be able to go supply shopping the MINUTE she got her teacher assignment.

I love to go supply shopping. I loved it as a kid and still love it. I'd be sad if our school had the buy a supplies box thing.
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

I bought LLBean backpacks 2 years ago & they are still going strong, so I do not get them new ones each year! I will probably let them get a new one, maybe going into 5th grade? The print on their backpacks is not babyish, but they may want something more simple in a few years (read grown-up).