Quantcast
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I just have to say kuddos to all you moms who do this every year. My kids chose buying school supplies for our local public school as their back-to-school service project. I was so ridiculously stressed out in the store!!!!
    Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings
    we continue to fly...on broomsticks.
    We are flexible like that.

If you need headphones, I suggest Five Below. Ours lasted all year and they have different fun colors.

DS2's school has the box. It is my favorite fundraiser! I wish the middle school offered it, too.

I feel for you guys with long complicated lists. My kids seem to just have 4-5 things on their lists each year and they're not specific or anything. It'll just say a box of colored pencils, a folder for homework, a pencil box, etc.

I think they probably make the backpacks so big for people who live in places that get winter. My kids can barely fit everything that they need into their backpacks in the winter- snowpants, hat, gloves, change of shoes, in addition to the usual lunch, library books, homework/projects, etc. Also, it never crossed my mind that that extra pocket was a laptop sleeve (though ours have never been padded) We always use that spot for the homework folder.
    Betsy and Dave, married 10/18/03
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

This is my first year with the list, it was pretty basic, I just need to get the primary pencils from Staples at one visit.

We were told to get a school bag, so I think we have free reign there. My son wants a blue backpack with a strawberry (school logo) on it. So i ordered a patch from the uniform supplier and will sew that on to a regular navy backpack.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

I'm starting to feel twitchy and just want to get the supply shopping done and over with. I already bought all of their new school clothing and shoes/socks/underwear with the exception of one more pair I need for DS1.

The supply list for us is pretty standard this year (same as in year's past.) DS1 brought home a ton of unused supplies (pens, glue sticks, composition journals) so I'm going to see what we already have and cross that off of the list.

I loathe sharpening pencils and think I need to splurge on an electric sharpener for home. We had one (but it was a cheapie) and it never worked so we tossed it. Now the kids use the tiny plastic ones that never work- it's such a PITA so I normally buy the pre-sharpened pencils for the supplies.

Rolling back-packs aren't allowed until Middle School for us. We've been lucky in that DS has had the same backpack since first grade! It was a cheapie at Target but it is still in great condition. But, he is bored of it so we will be buying a new one this year.

My biggest complaint on the school supply list is the packages of copy paper we have to supply. That stuff is expensive!!!
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

I have no complaints about our school supply list but you all have me wondering when I get it or if I missed something.

ah - I just went online and it is all posted there.

Quote Originally Posted by steviem View Post

My biggest complaint on the school supply list is the packages of copy paper we have to supply. That stuff is expensive!!!
    That's mine too. We need a ream of: card stock, white paper (2), colored paper (1) and a pack of construction paper. Last year DH came home with about 5 pages of paper per day!

We have not ever gotten the unused supplies back. I don't really know what happens to them. Eg, they ask for a clipboard every year, where do they all go?

My plan of attack is that I went to the dollar tree to get whatever they had that was suitable quality and I will follow up with staples/office max as they have their loss leaders. Then I'll probably do a last minute cleanup trip at Target. I know that seems like a lot of running, but it's all so close it's not an issue.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

DD's school posted this link for where to get the best prices on school supplies.

http://www.simplemost.com/back-schoo...m_content=WEWS

Re: backpacks - I like Lands end because they have different sizes of backpacks based on the child's height. We have gotten all the girls backpacks from there (and they still look great; maybe a bit dirty but no major issues) and have bought new when they grow or need something bigger.

We only have MDD's supply list. Actually, went to the middle school website and just found ODD's!! And I haven't yet seen YDD's 3K.

I may be in the minority, but I enjoy doing the shopping. Our district does a lot of girls bring one item to share, boys bring a different. And, thus far, it's been the same item for both kids. Like quart ziplock bags. They both have needed to bring a box. So we go to costco and get a massive pack and send extras to school. Or the pencils, we go get a big pack, divvy up what they need and then send the extras to the teacher. We have a lot of lower income families, so I know the supplies get shared for that purpose.

I plan to take each girl out for a special mommy day. I make them buy what is required (i.e. a red notebook, a plain green folder) but if there's no direction, I let them get creative or funky. We saw some neat pencil boxes that they were eyeing up. As long as there's no requirements, I'll let them get funky with that.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12