Quantcast
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default School Supply 2016 Complaint thread

And so it begins....

my 4th grader needs 60 sharpened #2 pencils. WTH? I'm pretty sure she hasn't used 60 pencils total in her life.

This year a lot of unused supplies came home for both DSs. What a waste.

I'm wondering what we need for middle school. No list posted.

We sent the kids in with about 24 pencils. I told the teachers if they need more let me know and I will send them in.

I did my shopping this week and described it as "a very unpleasant and frustrating scavenger hunt." I spent about $200 on my girls and still had to order things from Amazon. The worst offenders were a "bingo dotter", personal headphones ($$), purple "ballpoint" pen (don't get me started), 7 "different" colored spiral notebooks (there are only 5 different colors available unless you mix brands), 1/2 inch 3 ring binder (they weren't smaller than 1 inch at Target), a personal white board (?), and 3 (!!!) packages of black dry erase markers (those are pricey IMO).

Thankfully my Target had a Starbucks where I could get free refills, that softened the blow of an otherwise chaotic and unpleasant shopping adventure.

Oh and in a related concern, why are backpacks SO BIG? The shoulders look ridiculous on my 8 year old but the smaller backpacks are too small for her (but just right for my 5 year old). And why do they all have laptop sleeves? Even the K size backpack includes a padded laptop sleeve. Are people really sending elementary kids to school with laptops????
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

I don't really have any complaints! We do the boxes you can order. It's expensive but worth it to me. I love school supplies but don't want to be shopping for them right now x3 kids!

Call me crazy, but I love sharpening pencils! We have an electric sharpener in our house.

Most people at our school use rolling backpacks (even in K) because our school is so big and spread out (and we park in the hills around the schools and walk in to school), and I like our backpacks big. My kids put their Planetbox lunch boxes and carrying totes in them, so it's easier to take them out and put them back in a big backpack. Plus those Planetbox lunches are heavy when packed from the ice and the metal tray, so the rolling bags are nice.

This is my go-to rolling bag. It's very big but we love it. It has a very wide opening which is good for more clumsy/uncoordinated kids.

Our list specifically says no rolling backpacks! So varied. I checked out the first grade list tonight, way more elaborate and involved than the kindergarten one was last year. DS has been dying to shop for school supplies, this weekend we bought him a new backpack and lunchbox set. DH is going to surpise him with a shopping trip to target tomorrow.

My youngest isn't allowed a rolling backpack either. My oldest really wanted one but I'm not a fan until she's at least 10.

I so wish our school offered boxes to order ahead btw, I'd be all over that!
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

I got almost everything the week after school ended! We use a service that gives 10% back to the school. Only the pencil crayons seemed overpriced, but they label literally every pencil with first name and last initial, so it was with the few dollars to me.
    DS1 used the same personal white board for three years, were replacing it for next year though. So some things we've had good luck with!

All I have to get organized at home is DS2's headphones, and play doh (pretty much the only bizarre thing on the list), and new shoes for both. DS1 needs a new lunch bag, but it's not critical. If we find a good deal or something cool when we find a Disney store, we'll probably let them both pick out new. I could really use the old ones for other things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married 7.3.04 Henry 10.29.08 Charlie 11.19.11

Our school PTA buys all of the supplies, and it is suggested you reimburse them if you are financially able, but it is not required. I got DD a new backpack that she wanted that I hate. So I guess we're set.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I love sharpening pencils too, Taurus. We have an electric sharpener and it gets tons of use since we homeschool.

But for you non-sharpening loving people, you can buy boxes of #2 pencils already sharpened!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets