Quantcast
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Those strawberries DID look yummy! I'm jealous you can have such great berries in February. We won't get decent ones here in New England until June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

I made this last night because I already had all the ingredients on hand, and it was so delicious! I love how an hour of IP makes a soup taste like it has been simmering all day.

X-posted from IP FB group:

15 Bean Soup with Kielbasa and Kale

Goya 15 bean soup mix. I ended up soaking them for maybe 3-4 hours so I could still have my husband sleep in our bed tonight.

On the sautee function I softened a chopped onion, 3 cloves chopped garlic, and 3 peeled chopped carrots. Then I added 2 links of sliced turkey kielbasa and browned that.

I added the drained beans and 8 cups of homemade chicken broth from my freezer, plus 2 bay leaves, a teaspoon of beef Better than Bouillon and an additional 3 cups water (you could do all broth but I didn't have enough.)

Cooked on bean setting for 35 min with a full NPR.

Then I opened the lid and added half a bag of chopped kale (had to clean out the fridge!), put the lid back on and just warmed everything on sautee in order to wilt the kale.

DH and DS had thirds!

J + A

Sky, do you think I can use your same method for black beans, minus the sausage and kale? I posted upthread that I want to make a batch of beans for DD as they are her favorite and she likes to eat them for lunch. I've just been buying canned black beans but would love to try homemade.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Stevie- Beans are super easy in the instant pot. I just cover them with about an inch of water and cook them on the bean setting plus however many minutes I think it needs. I use the recipe book and the FB page for a guideline.

Will your family do hummus or falafel? I know it's still beans but it's different than a bean soup or beans and rice so maybe?

Yes, strawberry season is Feb and March here. I've never been but there is a huge strawberry festival in Central Florida. Most of the strawberries we get are from this area. http://www.flstrawberryfestival.com/
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Other than in soup, I have not yet mastered the art of the unsoaked bean in the IP, yet. Then again I have not tried too often because we rarely eat beans as a separate dish.

Sorry, Stevie. Let me know how it works for you!

J + A

Ugh, I'm having my first major IP frustration and it involves BEANS. I'm making black bean elk chili. I didn't soak the d@amn beans first. I keep having to cook it longer because there are still some hard ones. DH was starving and went ahead and ate a bowl (and I've probably had about 3 spoonfuls of not all the way cooked beans). It does taste DELICIOUS! The beans just won't cook. I just read uncooked beans are poisonous. Lovely. I hope DH doesn't get sick. 🙁
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Gia, does the chili have tomato in it? Beans won't cook in tomato sauce. I learned that the hard way too!

J + A

[QUOTE=skyblu;2276323]Gia, does the chili have tomato in it? Beans won't cook in tomato sauce. I learned that the hard way too!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOoTE]

Yes! That must have been it! Everything I read said 20-25 min for uncooked, unsoaked, black beans, so I was so frustrated! It ended up taking an hour, but they did eventually cook, and it was really good. Lesson learned. Cook the beans separately, first, in the other IP!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

I have yet to try the beans! I've been meaning to do it all week but just haven't gotten around to it. The black bean recipes do not call for any tomato products so hopefully I'll be okay if I don't presoak.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

I use my IP at least once a week for hard boiled eggs. Haven't tried anything tricker than soup. But I am proud to have mastered rice this week, I followed the directions this time instead of pushing the "rice" button and it turned out perfectly. Who knew?
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11