Quantcast
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Default Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker Thread

I love my instant pot! Someone suggested we have a thread so here it is.

First order of business though, is what did you name your instant pot? Mine is David Bowie - which felt totally disrespectful when he died two weeks after I named it, but it's "under pressure"!!

Mine is coming in today!!! Can you post your favorite EASY recipe that I could make tonight?
    Married: April 20, 2002
    DD: January 25, 2008

Oh Pine Tree - you NEVER disappoint! lol (And I know David Bowie forgives you and I'm sure got a chuckle out of it too!)

Pine Tree that's hilarious. And thanks for starting the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought one too! Looking forward to some good recipes. I heard you can easy peeling hardboiled eggs in it and that intrigues me! I'm still on a quest for an easy peeling hardboiled egg. And yes, I also have an electric egg cooker. I have a problem! 😂
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Gia the key to easy peeling eggs is not how you cook them but what you do after they are cooked. You have to put them immediately in ice water.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_71 View Post
    Gia the key to easy peeling eggs is not how you cook them but what you do after they are cooked. You have to put them immediately in ice water.

I've also heard adding a little baking soda to the water. I do both and most of the time they do peel easily. Every one in a while there is a bad egg though it seems
    Joshua Daniel~ 3/4/08 at 19w4d with us for 68 minutes, forever in our hearts , Michael Aaron- our rainbow baby arrived 5/15/09
    Jacob Ryan- our second rainbow 2/11/12

I do the ice water thing. It might be the eggs I buy. I usually buy them right from a farm and maybe they are too fresh? I heard that can make them harder to peel.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

I've done eggs in them but I don't find it really any better than the stove other than I can just walk away and not forget to turn off the boiling water. We're not particular about our eggs around here. Yes, I think the older the eggs the easier the peel.

Potatoes! I love just sticking a whole bunch of potatoes that are going to be mashed or cubed and walking away. I can do it early and have them ready to prepare later.

I stick pretty much any meat in there. The other night we stuck frozen chicken legs in there and crisped up the skin in the countertop convection oven. Made pulled pork a few nights later.

Rice is pretty easy in there (also we're not picky) and if I'm really pressed for time, I'll throw in a couple of frozen chicken tenderloins with some broth and a package of chicken and yellow rice.

I cook beans in there without soaking but definitely increase the time on the charts. Make "refried" beans fairly often. Made a pretty good risotto (not sure if it was technically risotto but creamy arborio rice).

TIP: get extra rings if you cook a lot of red sauces or curries, or use cumin at all. Because that smell will never come out.

ANOTHER TIP: Tomato sauces overheat very easily. If you saute first, make sure you have a lot of liquid or you bring the temperature down a lot.

There are a lot of other functions that I haven't even tried. It was a worthy appliance for me because I don't have to pay careful attention so dinner is usually edible and I'm unlikely to burn down the house with it.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

One of my favorite things in the instant pot is chicken wings.

Put the frozen wings in the pot with 1 cup water
    Use the chicken setting and manual release

Then toss with your favorite sauce and broil. Boiling is key because the chicken is super tender and you need to broil to get the crispy skin.