Quantcast
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172

I think our system is 1-4 where 2 is learning and 3 is on grade level and 4 is above grade level, I think. They switched the whole district to this non letter grade system last year. I think it goes through 8th grade. My brain defaults 2 = C though which is interesting. 🙄
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Letter grades here start in K. DD2 has had a few B's and I know they would be S's in the system I had growing up and DD1 had. The criteria is pretty stringent and it puts having perfect grades in a new perspective because it's much more difficult to achieve.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Our district is in the process of switching to the 1-4 system instead of letters.

Ours is 1 - doesn't get it, 2 - kinda gets it but still needs practice, 3 - gets it, 4 - gets it enough to explain it others (above and beyond)

First the common core new way of math confused me, now I don't even understand the grading system! Luckily my kids understand it and don't need my help.

^ yes, that's basically what our system is too. Except that 1 can be either doesn't get it, or they haven't worked on it yet.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I am trying to remember, and I *think* that letter grades actually started in 2nd grade for us. I'll have to check back, though, I could be mis-remembering.

Jessey - her teacher said that she used to teach 4th grade, and DD2 has indicated that the teacher is pretty strict in general. I'm glad for it - she's definitely preparing them for 4th grade. That's good to hear that your DD's toughest year so far has been third, too.

Dally - thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.

Pine Tree - I may consider some form of tutoring. I like the idea of the "refresher" course. A few years ago we did a "refresher" swimming class for DD2 in the early summer/late spring, one week of classes every day so she could brush up on that. A refresher course in math for late summer before school starts sounds like a good idea. I don't think she'll actually do workbooks - we do sometimes get fun ones, and we end up never really doing them! I've been saving FB posts from my local area where HS students have offered tutoring services, or people have requested tutoring services and gotten responses, because I may pursue that route. I saw two people who I know who offer it, and think would be great matches with DD2, so we'll see. That's great your DD *chose* to take a logic course - I love it!
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

All of elementary school is Beginning, Progressing, Acheiving, Exceeding marks. I don't think they even have subject tests (they do have about a zillion state tests). All work that I see brought home has a star on it. Grades begin in middle school. DS is in 5th grade this year, but talking middle school math, so he's gotten grades for that. We've had lots of discussion about the Ds and Fs he's gotten because he refuses to show his work for his homework (all homework is done online). He gets As on the homework itself and on most of the tests, but the homework notebook he fails and it really should be an automatic A.

I haven't seen a single test/quiz or piece or homework come back with grades on it. My son says the teacher keeps everything and then sends it home at the end of the year? Since he doesn't really give me many details it's hard to gauge how his grades actually are. 4th grade will be interesting if they do letter grades in it.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemia View Post
    Letter grades here start in K. DD2 has had a few B's and I know they would be S's in the system I had growing up and DD1 had. The criteria is pretty stringent and it puts having perfect grades in a new perspective because it's much more difficult to achieve.
    The problem I see with that (and it's nothing new) is for college admittance and scholarships. If your child is at a more difficult school/district does it put them at a disadvantage. And I totally understand that it's about the learning and yes they will be more PREPARED and hopefully successful , but from a competitive standpoint.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Joshua Daniel~ 3/4/08 at 19w4d with us for 68 minutes, forever in our hearts , Michael Aaron- our rainbow baby arrived 5/15/09
    Jacob Ryan- our second rainbow 2/11/12

It's funny, I can check DD's grades online, and they are in traditional percentages, and then a letter grade.

I wouldn't worry about university admissions - the schools have "translators" to compare different types of grading scales. I deal with this all the time because I have to make admission decisions for international students into my master's program. I can even get comparisons as to what a 3.5 GPA average in Ghana means compared to Tanzania.

ODD is working on her final "big" project for school - a wax museum figure. She chose Marie Curie. She has to dress up like her and make a poster board and stuff. she's very excited about it. We talked about some ideas and I had her write out a project timeline; complete with due dates. We then put them in on her assignment notebook and our soft deadlines - when we WANT them to be done by. We chatted about making sure all of the pieces were done and then preparing her big presentation. She seemed to like doing that and has been sticking to her deadlines.

while I feel I "took charge" a bit, she needs to know that it's not something that can be thrown together in one night. I've seen/heard WAAAY too many parents complaining about that. And while I want her to be responsible for the project, if she doesn't *know* how to do it, then how can I expect her to get it done? This weekend we're going to start getting materials for her poster board. She tried to tell me it wasn't due for awhile, but i reminded her that our lives get busy quickly and if we have time to do it, we should. She understood that, so we have a date.

I didn't introduce her to my color coding system..... yet.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12