Quantcast
Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Yes, this year we split the week, I do M/W both ways and mornings on F. Next year when my youngest starts K I'll do just mornings for awhile until I feel comfortable knowing she can get where she needs to be. It was actually MUCH easier having only 2 of us do carpooling this year, last year we had 3 moms and it was a hot mess keeping track of the schedule.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

Next fall we will be dealing with three school schedules. I've done two before; so hopefully three won't be a problem

ODD will be getting on the bus at 7 a.m. for middle school (assuming pick up times stay the same). I will be dropping YDD off at 3K at 7:50 a.m. and then bringing MDD back for her bus at 8:10. Then heading in for work

I guess my early "struggle" is ODD's bus time. I know she'll be fine getting up/ready for the bus in time (I'll have to wake up earlier, but that's okay). I worry about her going to the bus stop alone. currently I wait at the bus stop because I have to leave for work right after they are picked up at 8:10. She's responsible, but still I worry. I know a family that lives a few houses down from the bus stop; I may ask the mom if she can keep an eye on them in the morning if possible. Her son is the same age as ODD. I don't want to get ODD teased/picked on because "mommy" is at the bus stop, but they are all still children. We'll be having lengthy conversations about stranger danger and such over the summer (and have had conversations already but they will take a different tone over the summer).
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Our district is giving every kid an iPad (K-2), iPad Pro (3), or an iMac laptop (4-12) starting next year. "Giving" may be a strong word - they belong to the district and the parents have to pay a technology fee and an "optional" protection plan fee. But they will be the kid's to use during school and at home. The middle and high schools got theirs in December and the program is being rolled out to the elementaries next year. It should be an interesting year. I think that if they can be used as tools to assist teaching and provide more individualized learning, it will be a great thing.

Our school gave kids 6-12 Chromebooks I think this is the first school year. Next year grades 3-5 will also have them. I am not sure if the elementary kids bring them home from school daily or not, but the middle/high schoolers would face consequences if they fail to charge them at home. They said they do put some filters on them, but ultimately want the parents to make sure they don't do anything inappropriate with them.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about these programs - constant viruses, theft, spilled drinks etc... All it takes is one computer science kid to figure out how to get through the filters, and everyone is through. I know one school district in California tried it and got rid of it because it was such a headache.

Our district has switched to a "bring your own device" policy so that the school doesn't have to deal with it.

At our school, K-5, all the kids have Chromebooks. They stay at school and the kids in my daughter's 3rd grade class are responsible for making sure they are charged. They connect to the schools wifi, which is set up to only allow them onto Google Drive, something I learned when I wanted a medical device to be connected to the wifi during the school day. It's been great for my daughter this year, the first she's had it. Only 4-5 had them last year, this year K-3 got them as well. I also like it, because we can access her work through Google Drive at home and help her with projects, reports, etc.
    C & B - 5.13.06
    DD - 9.15.07
    My LJ

My old county was giving all children tablets. I am not sure that was needed for kindergarteners.

Do people make requests about teachers for the next year?

At my private elementary school we only had 2 teachers per grade. I guess my mother made requests every year, though not every year they were granted.

She is urging me to make requests and what I tell her is I don't know anything about the teachers in the next grade. She thinks I should talk to anyone and everyone to find out about the teachers. Even for DS, I only know the 2nd grade teacher DD had. For 3rd grade I think I will request the teacher she had because she really prepared DD for the increased work load of 4th grade and a lot of other parents didn't feel their child was prepared.

DD's 4th grade teacher is usually a 5th grade teacher but this year's 5th grade is small and 4th grade is large so she moved down for the year and we were sent an email saying that if we didn't want our child to repeat the teacher next year, we needed to let the school know. It doesn't mean they are looking to duplicate the class, but statistically 5 kids would end up with her again. DD likes her and we've been happy with her and we are trying to decide if we should say that we really want her to repeat teachers, though I don't believe that is a guarantee. The majority of DD's friends are oldest children as well so I can't ask their parents for recommendations of teachers for the next grade. Plus, while they may be my friends, every child is different so I don't necessarily want to take another parent's opinion about a teacher.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

No, we are not allowed. We can only say what kind of teacher would be the right fit.

We aren't allowed either. Our teaching teams work really hard by grade to assess kids across the entire grade and then group them appropriately for the next grade level. I'm not positive but I *think* their system is to spread all levels of learners across all classes, but I'm not 100% on that. Based on this year it seems like what they did, but I don't know if the strategy changes going forward. I am not too stressed about who DD gets. I think they did a great job this year matching kids' personalities to the 'right fit' teacher. I'm assuming next year will be even better. Our biggest stress is the fact that they will most likely separate DD and her BFF. It came up in conversation with her teacher and she asked what DD's preference would be, but she nicely basically said that's one of the last things they consider and they are waaaaaaaay far away from getting to that level at this point.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09