Quantcast
Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Really going back over answers that much contradicts test taking strategies that I learned...usually your first "guess" is right. And unless you found you made a mistake in math....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Joshua Daniel~ 3/4/08 at 19w4d with us for 68 minutes, forever in our hearts , Michael Aaron- our rainbow baby arrived 5/15/09
    Jacob Ryan- our second rainbow 2/11/12

Tomorrow is the fine arts showcase for our elementary school. Art work will be displayed and the 4th graders can do recorder solos and the choir will perform. ODD is in the choir and I'm sure both girls will have art displayed (since we'll be there to see it). I'm excited for ODD. She's been working hard with the choir for this performance.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

The event was very nice I had to stay at work longer than I had hoped, so I got there after ODD's first song. But I heard the remaining five and they were great. The kids (and teachers) did a fantastic job. the choir sounded great. But, more "important" I suppose was the dedication and hard work of the two teachers - music and art.

This gallery - maybe 100 feet long by 20 feet wide was COVERED with student art work. There was art going up the walls (and the ceilings were high!!), sculptures all over the room, banners hung from the ceiling; it was just amazing. Every student had at least one piece displayed. While I know they weren't the only two setting up, they did coordinate the whole project. I feel like I need to write a letter to the district for these two ladies. I mean, every teacher is amazing, but really - this was just awesome.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Had a lot of drama over here the last few months, but we're finally set with what we're doing for Kinder next year.

We live on a dead end street, the elementary school is in the cul de sac. We've been telling our son he's going there for kinder since he turned 2. Now, he's not.

Our public schools at the elementary level are decent, not stellar, but we have serious funding issues with the state (CT), so I decided to enter the lottery for the Stamford public schools magnet program, thinking we wouldn't get in. Well, we did, to our first choice and G is going to kinder at the new school, which follows the IB program. I am nervous, because it's a brand new facility, with just K and grade 1 enrolled. We drove past it the other day and it's being built now for phase 1, and there's a long way to go, we have orientation in a few weeks.

What I am really nervous about is the commute. According to google, it's exactly 10 miles away, but with traffic, could be longer. My parents will help with drop off and pickup (my husband and I both work in Stamford right now) and our offices are not far away. Anyone else have a kind of long commute to a school that's not in your town? There's no option for bussing, maybe carpooling when the kids get older. Talk me off the ledge!
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

While that sounds a bit stressful to get in the groove, once you have a routine it will probably be no big deal. I love the IB program, so that's a huge win.

Looch- we have about a 20-25 min (one way) commute to our kids school (13 or 15 miles?). I do it mostly but DH drops them off at least once a week. And it's not on the way to anything or in our town. But, it's worth it for us to send our kids to school there so we do it. I wish we could bus or carpool but we haven't found anyone to carpool with and they don't bus. It's not forever though - we may switch in middle school or move at some point (the school is K-12 on a mini campus). I do think you get used to it but yeah, driving back and forth is a big part of my day. When I was going into the office (downtown) my MIL helped us out and DH did more of the drop off / pick up and now that I'm home, the bulk falls on me. I really like the afternoon car time though - the boys are always super chatty and tell me everything. We do a lot of spelling review in the car as well. You'll find your groove!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pine Tree: that's exactly it, for the program, I am willing to do this commute. I really wish we had this option in town, but it's so backwards here, I don't think it will ever happen at the elementary level while my son is in school...we just got the program in one of the high schools, so time will tell what we do after 8th grade. For now, this is the option for K-8. I feel like I won the lottery, I am literally getting a private school education at a public school price! I just hope it's a good fit for my son.

Daisy: I hope so! It's hard to switch from going to the school down the road to another town. I hope my son likes it!
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

I don't have to deal with the possible weather or traffic but I drive my older son to a charter school. It takes 15 minutes each way so even though I work from home I "commute" almost as much as dh. It's not too bad but it's also the routine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Joshua Daniel~ 3/4/08 at 19w4d with us for 68 minutes, forever in our hearts , Michael Aaron- our rainbow baby arrived 5/15/09
    Jacob Ryan- our second rainbow 2/11/12

We have a *brand new* elementary school in our neighborhood, this was the first school year it opened. However, we drive past it every day to commute 12 minutes to a different school. We go there for a specific program that the neighborhood school doesn't have. So I hear you. The driving part sucks (although I am in a carpool w/a neighbor so I only do 1/2 the week), but we are so happy with the program that it's worth it.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

off2skl: Yes, that's what I am hoping, that it becomes routine.

honeygirl: how is the carpooling working out, do you have set days?

I also forgot to mention we're eligible for a state stipend to offset some of the commuting cost.