Quantcast
Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Education & School Discussion, pt 3

We were way overdue for a new thread! Read recent discussions here:

http://www.constantchatter.com/forum...n-pt-2/page194
    Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings
    we continue to fly...on broomsticks.
    We are flexible like that.

Garden- My son is still pretty young, first grade, but his class does quite a bit of writing (short stories, short research reports, etc). I do address things like misspellings if his teacher hasn't. I'll say something like "You did an awesome job including all the facts you learned about groundhogs! With this great grade, Mrs. S must agree. I did notice some words misspelled, which is fine because this wasn't a spelling test, but do you want me to show them to you?" He inevitably does want to know, and then we'll correct them together. But this suits his personality - it doesn't stress him out to know it wasn't perfect. (But I have a feeling YDS is not going to be so low-key when he gets into school!)

Maybe it's because my degree is in journalism, but I just think kids should always be encouraged to write everything correctly. I can see misspellings/run-on sentences not counting toward a grade if the project's focus is on something else, but they should at least be circled or noted so the student knows to work on that next time. It matters!

I'm irritated with DD's teacher, so I need to vent.

DD was sick for 3 days before spring break and missed a math test. Yesterday the teacher sent her to the library to take the test. DD finished it and came back to class and the teacher told her that she didn't take enough time and that she had to do it AGAIN! So she took DD's test, put it in the recycling and gave her another copy and sent her back to the library. DD was apparently trying not to cry, so she went back to the library, redid the test (with the same answers she said) and then sat there staring at the wall to kill time before going back. I just checked her online grades and she got an A+ on the test. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

WOW Pine Tree - I would be super annoyed at that. I'd probably even send a strongly worded email to the teacher.

I had a similar conversation with my oldest last week. They're doing some sort of standardize testing and if they get done they're supposed to go back and check their answers. And keep checking and rechecking until the hour is up. She said she checked her answers 6 times before the time was up. I was annoyed. I told DD, check it twice and that's it. There is no point in going over the same things that many times, just to waste time. Find something else to do. Read a book, doodle, whatever.

Our school district is not high on my list of favorite things lately. The more I hear the more annoyed I get.

DD is in the same situation with the standardized tests, and they can't do ANYTHING until the time is up -- no reading, no paper out etc... They just have to sit there.

WTH Pine tree? I would be so pissed. Are you going to reach out to the teacher?

Along the lines of standardized testing, I'm annoyed with how much pressure the teachers put on the kids. DS told me he was feeling stressed about the testing. He's feeling stressed enough with the end of year work that's coming up, plus the transition to middle school next year is freaking him out. We had a conversation with him about doing his best on the tests, but to let go any idea that he had to feel this was life or death like the schools make it out to be.
    K&K 10.5.02
    E 3.8.05
    M 6.24.09

Katie- YES! DD was in tears earlier in the year over these tests. I told her to just do her best and that's all that matters. I promised they weren't that important and getting all worked up and crying was not worth it.

ODD just got done with PARC tests, had a field trip and now has MAP tests next week. And I'm pretty sure there is another field trip in there. YDD has at MAP testing and at least 2 field trips scheduled in the last few weeks of school. They are pretty much not learning anything new for the year. It's just testing and field trips for the last 25 days of school.
    Last edited by Alegna; 04-18-2016 at 01:42 PM.

PT that is so odd! I'm sorry your DD had to go through that. I'm sure both of my girls would have had tears in their eyes if that happened to them.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

The teacher should have graded the test first before determining whether or not enough time was needed. That just seems so disheartening and humiliating for your daughter.

One of the best mentors I ever had said, "No matter what, you ALWAYS let a child keep his or her dignity."

I like that Ali. To be totally honest I like the will to intervene right now because I'm just swamped with stuff right now. Venting felt good