Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a running pace tracking watch for DD

Sorry ladies, I know I'm in the wrong forum, but wasn't sure where to put this.

DD likes to run 5Ks. I don't run and DH is quite a bit slower than her. I would like for her to learn to pace herself. Ideally, I would like for her to be able to have a watch that she can glance down on to see what her current pace is to see if she needs to speed up or slow down. I have that feature on the FitBit app on my iPhone, but that feels too big for an 8 year old to wear and try to figure out how to see the screen while trying not to trip while running. Any suggestions?
    Married: April 20, 2002
    DD: January 25, 2008

I know Garmin has it as a feature, but I thought that this article was interesting. I'm a long-distance cyclist and I do keep an eye on my pace, but it is really just one of the components of being having a good ride. I find that focusing on form and cadence is a better indicator. I would also use caution with an 8-year old and maybe do some reading on training specifically for kids.

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corn...o-your-garmin/
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

I have a Garmin watch. They come in a variety of styles and features from reasonable to uber expensive, depending on what you need. The Garmin Forerunner is about $85. There are cheaper knockoffs around. If you search on Amazon I'm sure other recommendations will show up.
    I don't have any insight into whether they would/should be appropriate for children.

Does she run for fun or is she part of a team or club? I'd also caution about her concentrating on speed. If she focuses on increasing speed too much she could be placing herself at high risk for injury. If possible, I'd get some advise from coaches who work with children that age.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

Both of my boys (11 and 9) are runners and have been running 5Ks since 5 years old. They started by just run/walk at their own pace, and then they really took off a few years ago when they started youth track with our local running store. Both now run 5Ks on their own at their own pace so we got running watches for them. We got them Garmin Forerunner 10s. They are simple to start and stop and easy to use. My younger one started using it at 8 years old and has no problems with using it during races. They do pace mostly based on effort, but when they have key races where they are trying to PR the watch can be really helpful. They only use the Garmin in races and not when they are running on their own. Although the 9 year old wears his, he barely ever looks at it. He is really a run by feel kind of kid. He has learned the hard way about going out too fast and now knows how to pace himself well in a race. It really just takes getting used to it. Having said that the watch is a useful tool to let a kid know that they went out way too fast and should probably reel it in a little.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into...rod107143.html
    Here's the model that the boys use. We got them the ladies model since the band and face is smaller. I would recommend a refurbished one since the price will be less, and it won't get as much use with a kid so should be fine. Both of mine have refurbished models that have held up well with 2-4 times monthly use.

One more thing: I would highly recommend a RoadID for her if you don't already have one. The slim wrist model is perfect for kids and is great for piece of mind during races because it has all contact information on there in case of emergency when she is out on the course.

I was going to suggest the same as little bear - I have one that is attached to my shoe laces and I don't even notice it.

I use a running app on my iPod and I quite like it. I wear it on my arm and I find it quite accurate even without wifi/3G.

Angie, I'm going to move this into the 'Exercise and Working Out' area under the Health & Fitness forums. I know this is geared for your DD, but the threads there are in the same vein.

I second the RoadID suggestion for her. I never go out for a run without mine.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

I third the RoadID suggestion. DH, DS1 and I all have one. DS has the slim wrist one and we let him pick out the color. I don't have much advice on the pace tracker though. I have a garmin forerunner 15 and I like it, but I told DS he couldn't have one because it's too expensive. He has a regular watch with a stop watch and then he'll map his run when he's done to figure out his overall pacing - but he won't know his mile by mile pace. A refurbished forerunner 10 might be a good option, depending on how much you're looking to spend.
    I'm surrounded by boys!
    DH 6/29/02 ~ DS1 3/2/06 ~ DS2 10/15/09