Quantcast

Default Video Game Systems

We just sent our old Wii to the junk yard but the girls want another one. I have NO idea what to get. We aren't big gamers, won't do gore, and will limit how much they play. It will likely live in at the lake house. Do I get another Wii? PS4? Something else? Also what are the top games to get for it?

We got a Wii U for Christmas (replacing an old Wii). For family play, I think Nintendo is the best gaming system. I think PlayStation and Xbox are more geared toward the single male in his 20s and a lot of the games available go in that direction (violence, gore, community play). Nintendo still has a lot of games that are very family friendly and truthfully, probably too easy for the serious gamer.

The Wii U will play all of our old Wii games, so we didn't get many new ones. The whole family enjoys Mario Kart 8 (racing). DS's favorite game is Mario World Maker (he gets to create his own Mario levels). DD's favorite game is Yoshi's Wooly World. We also got Disney Infinity 3.0, but haven't opened it yet. I would also like to get the Mario game for the Wii U.

I have heard that Nintendo is coming out with a new system this year, but I don't know anything about it. If you are not in a hurry, you may want to wait until more details are release on that.

For your situation, I would second the Wii U. Although we have a PS4 and DD plays Disney Infinity. I don't think you can get that for Wii ? I think they have their own version though? But the PS4 belongs to my husband, and Disney Infinity is the only game DD plays on it.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

What about the Xbox Kinect? DH just asked me about that one. No idea!

You could do that one too. It would be more of a wii/ps4 hybrid. But I think the majority of Xbox games skew to shooter types. I'm not sure what non violent game options are. We have an xbox too but we didn't get Kinect. My husband apparent bought it just to play one specific game. Nice.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I would probably also go for a WiiU since it will be able to play the Wii games. We had an old PS2, then 3 given to us- my little peple really wanted the PS3 since there is Minecraft for it, but the console is not working. We have a bunch of sports and racing games for it that they like to play. The really love all the Mario games on the Wii though! I would probably not get a Wii though since they don't make new games for it.

We got the Xbox One. My boys play Madden, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, car racing games and now Star Wars Battlefront. I do think the Xbox and PS have advantages. The Xbox has games you can download and right now they like to play Roblox with friends. We spent time researching what games are available that my boys like before picking a console.

We use Xbox One here. The kids play Plants v Zombies, Skylanders, Guacamele and Star Wars Infinity the most. DH likes being able to download trials and the like for the kids (and himself).

IrishEyes: My kids got pulled from Roblox due to a lot of adult themes/chat. I walked in on DD watching two players canoodling in a hot tub and while I could not see chat from the distance I can only imagine. I thought they only had access to their friends at the time. I was wrong.