Quantcast
Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Sky - Wow!! Yeah....the vision in my head never seems to match the budget I am working with...LOL! But seriously, $70K sounds like A LOT Of money. I am guessing that is a TOTAL house redo, but still that seems a bit steep. I have only dabbled in the flooring world...but have you looked into Laminate, Engineered hardwood or those ceramic tiles that looks like wood planks? I am guessing the $70K is for real hardwood? Where I live, most people stear clear of real hardwood as our weather is soo dry that they don't really last. I don't know...just throwing ideas out there. I actually think the top one is pretty..but definitely has more red tones, and if you are looking for dark/expresso I can see how you would not be totally happy with it. And for $70K you definitely want to LOVE it

That is a staggering #, sky!! Can you get another quote or do PLNU's suggestion of a different flooring? At our first lake house, we had a tiny little area that was carpet and we had "the" floor people come out and give us a quote. It was seriously about 13x13 and they quoted us $5k to match it to the existing flooring. We took a pass! Then, when we bought the new lake house, we had to rip up carpet in the family room, a downstairs bedroom, ALL of the upstairs and replace old tile in the guest bathroom. The total from a smaller local shop came to $14,000. They matched existing oak in one room and put in hardwood that was the exact same as we had in the old house. My point is, shop around!

And, our primary home is all bamboo flooring that was ruined when the previous owner had it refinished. They used the wrong wax or something and it looks splotchy. Makes me crazy when I focus on it but I have a feeling I will also have number shock when we are finally brave enough to refinish/replace it.

PLNU: that makes sense about the white taking over!

Have you looked into the tile that looks just like wood?

To clarify, 70K would be to rip up all the existing flooring throughout the entire house, re-do all the subfloors, and install high end "exotic" hardwood, which would then be sanded, stained, and coated on-site. Then the staircase would also be sanded and re-finished. It is obviously not a possibility, not just for the cost but also for the fact that it is a 2-3 week project that due to the fumes and dust requires that we move out completely, including all our furniture. Yeah, not gonna happen.

I don't have his estimate for the option I posted a picture of, which is pre-finished hardwood.

Engineered is not a great option for us because it's a thin veneer over a board, so any scratches from the dogs would be permanent, you can't sand or repair those.

DH suggested the wood-look tile, which I would be okay with in the foyer and the kitchen, but I don't like tile flooring in living spaces (let alone bedrooms), especially in an area with cold winters.
    J + A

You could probably have heated tile for cheaper than the $70k!

Sky, check out CoreTec. I think it could be a great option for you! It's a "luxury vinyl." But don't let the word "vinyl" fool you. I've seen it in a showroom and it's really nice. It's waterproof and animal-proof.

Sky- We got a super insanely high quote like that for refinishing our floors in old house (not $70k high! &#128563. We got another quote from a different company and it was like 1/3 of the price.

PLNU- Wow, that's a crazy good price for all of that painting, especially with cabinets and all of those banisters!! You have s great space. I can't wait to see the after pictures!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

PLNU- That is an incredible price for all that painting! The company we use would probably charge at least 2.5x that. I'm always put out by how much real painters cost, even though I love and appreciate the outcome. :-) We were also spoiled by the first project they did for us 4 years ago - they gave us a great deal because business was waaaay slow in 2012. I love all the photos of your house, and that tile in your kitchen is amazing!

Sky- I had total sticker shock when I was quoted real hardwood during our remodel. We went with an engineered hardwood that's the color of the darkest one you showed (the on e under the Armstrong). I would definitely not recommend it with your dogs - ours has been scratched and dinged by high heels, sliding some furniture (even though I thought we had enough padding underneath), and just daily wear and tear. I think I could have found a sturdier engineered hardwood option though - I didn't know what to really look for when I made the choice. Get some samples and just scratch the heck out of them! I do love the look, and I loved the price.

Sky I would talk to some additional people about engineered woods. IME they are typically harder than site finished floors because they are factory finished at a high heat which obviously isn't possible on site. And as far as them not being able to be refinished that isn't universally true. The thickness of the real wood on the top is usually equivalent to the wear layer on traditional hardwoods which is to say you can only refinish traditional hardwoods so many times before you sand down to the tongue and groove... The top layer of engineered is usually the same. Plus I think given the temperature swings of your area would make the dimensional stability of engineered preferable to real woods.

Oh and unless your house is WAY bigger than I imagined it to be, that quote is unbelievable!

Ok...so I am at a total stand-still right now! I have painted about 12 different greys' in various spots in our "formal" area (the vaulted ceiling area and all the general walls) and our family room/kitchen and I cannot decide on a color. I *think* I have landed on the color for the vaulted ceiling area...but the family room/kitchen area has me completely stumped. Every single day I change my mind, and depending on the light and area I like a different colors. Not to mention the fact that the current wall colors are totally throwing me off....

Not to mention I have yet to decide on the accent color for the wall that goes up the stairs and the wall behind my TV in the family room/kitchen area....or the two colors for my DD's room.

I am ready to just take the money and forget the paining and put it towards a vacation for just DH and I...LOL!